Anxious to start and New to this!

Could use any tips ! Doing a super low carb diet. Need to loose 65lbs. I’m young and feel so unhealthy. Doing this for my health and my kids. 

Any keto tips and supplements and recipes ... please let me know. 

1reply Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Stardust
    • Stardust.1
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Mel, welcome!  Some suggestions that may help:

MCT oil as your main source of fat (coconut oil is best natural source, but not as good as straight MCT oil).  Use coconut oil for cooking as it has a higher burn point.  I use MCT oil in my coffee, smoothies, and salad dressing.  MCT oil REALLY helps with ketosis.

Fast for 16hrs between dinner and your first meal the next day.  This is one way to incorporate intermittent fasting.  Intermittent fasting and keto together yields big results.

Don't snack between meals.  Fasting between meals helps as well!

Limit dairy products as lactose is milk sugar and a hidden source of carbs.

I plan and enter my food for the next day the night before and then stick to it.  That has helped me stay within my macros.

Get enough nutrition (veggies, lean protein, and healthy fats).  Spinach is the lowest carb veggie and has a lot of nutrition.  I use frozen spinach in my smoothies and egg scrambles.  Good nutrition helps with weight loss a d cravings as well.

Get enough sleep and drink enough water.  You can't lose weight without water and sleep :)

Keep your stress levels low as cortisol can really interfere with weight loss.

Hang in there.  The first 2 weeks can be brutal as your gut adapts to the high fat diet and detoxes off sugar.  It's not as bad for some, but many people get pretty sick at first.  Limit strenuous exercise your first 2 weeks.  Lighter exercise will help though.

Recipes are an adjustment as you learn to use almond flour, coconut flour, and psyllium husk powder for baking or figure out how to stay within your macros and still eat enough veggies and healthy fats.

Stick to your macros.  Common beginner errors are not getting enough fat or getting too much protein.  Cutting carbs is only part of keto and not sticking to your macros can interfere with ketosis.

Hope this helps and inspires you to research some of the things I mentioned.  Knowing the science and research helps me stay on track.

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 1Replies
  • 12Views
  • 2 Following