2 weeks of water fasting. First week was in Ketosis, day 8 slipped out? No idea why?

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I started a 14 day water fast recently and after a couple of days I went straight into mild ketosis. I was drinking sparkling and still water with just a very small amount of squeezed lemon juice and was on 2-4 ltrs of water a day. I also took electrolyte water here in Asia called "Aquarius." The only other drink I had was peppermint tea (black) and once in the morning a coffee with a vanilla milk (4gms carbs and low to zero sugar etc) with a tiny amount of non-fat milk and everything seemed fine.

I was taking Vitamins like D, B, folic acid and mens multi-vits. I then recently I also introduced Testosterone supplements and other various omega caps etc.

Over the past 3 days my ketosis meter readings and strip readings have started to decline and today I read them, the reading was zero, I also used the urine stick and I am totally out of Ketosis. I am sat here wondering what the hell?

The only thing I can think of is I drank a bit more of the aquarius water but the ingredients say no sugar etc or things that can affect ketosis. As you can see I am at a complete loss!

I have not eaten for 8 days so regardless, I assumed I should be in deep deep ketosis. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Phil

4replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Have you checked your ketosis level? If so is it completely dropped or just dropped a little?

• reading showed zero

• januaryvista
    • Vegetarian Keto Adventurer
    • januaryvista
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Wow, your frustration is certainly understandable!  It’s possible the testosterone supplement may be a factor, especially if starting that correlates with the decline in ketone readings.  Individual bodies can respond so differently to things like hormone supplements.

About all I can add is support for your efforts in sticking to a water fast — and hope that you are on track with your goals.

• I suspect you are becoming fat adapted and you caught your body at the switching point. Long story you can google but as you get deeper into ketosis and become fat-adapted, your ketone pee stick will always show as low on no ketones because you are no longer expelling them from urine but through the blood. Your blood ketones may not have caught up to this switch. I honestly don't know. OR... and more likely because over the past year I have seen this quite often; your blood ketone reader stick was a dud and you just need to retest.

Congrats on the fasting! It's not easy but after day 5 it is so very worth it. 

Like Follow
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 169Views
  • 5 Following