Puzzled about my progress...

Hi everyone!

I am using keto as a way to lower my a1c, since it’s on the high side, 5.7.
Ever since I adopted keto 6 weeks ago, I’ve seen dramatic improvements. I saw my glucose drop from 130 down to the 90s.

I do have a question. In the past 5 days, For some reason my glucose is creeping back up to 100~105. My breathalyzer says I’m blowing a BAC of .25. That’s without alcohol consumption and I must be in ketosis. I’m limiting myself to about 20-30g of carbs a day. I’m puzzled why my glucose is still 100 and I feel I’m going backwards in progress. Do you have any tips or insights?

Also, I noticed I’m sleepy and fatigued the whole day, since last week. I started introducing fat bombs into my diet last week and I wonder if that’s the culprit (cream cheese, butter, coconut oil, organic no sugar peanut butter). The whole thing has no sugar, not even stevia. Should have little to nothing carbs and just all fat.

Has anyone had experience where their glucose level creeping back up after successfully adopting keto for 4-5 weeks?

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Runxtc
    • Runxtc
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am seeing low glucose readings for days then suddenly spiking over 250.  I have been on Keto 1700 calories and my tracking suggest I rarely go over on carbs or calories.  Yesterday I did not track meals as I skipped meals until late evening then had a collagen chocolate shake with adaptogen root powders sweetened with Monk Drops and Stevia.   I haven't researched it yet but a friend was saying he read that the pancreas can store sugar / carbs and when needed dump them into your system.  So this is something to look at maybe.  I am hoping tomorrow will refrlect more accurately since I am now trying to eat consistently and at consistent times to track glucose throughout the day.  So maybe, take a look at pancreas behaviors.

Like 1
    • Peter Lin
    • Peter_Lin
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Very insightful! Thank you.  A coworker who's been on keto says he's had the same thing where he can't let carbs get too low else the body starts glycogenesis and breaks down proteins from muscles. that could be why i was feeling fatigued.

• Runxtc
    • Runxtc
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I just learned that my glucose spikes have a different cause.  I came up hear to read about gout symptoms I am experiencing.  In researching that on the web I just found where the drug - prednisone - elevates blood sugar significantly.  I am taking a larger dose as well for two more days.   So two things to look into and we probably should know how our medications affect us.   Thanks.

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 150Views
  • 3 Following