Breastfeeding?

Is anyone breastfeeding and trying low carb dieting? Do your macros change? I’m so worried about losing my milk supply - but have always had success low carb dieting and need to lose this baby weight. Of course if my milk supply goes down I’ll stop, but the ultimate goal is to avoid a decrease in supply but lose weight. 

6replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Karen M
    • Living, Loving, Working in the Permian Basin Oil Field
    • kmvause0386
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

How are you doing? 

• My wife has been on the diet for over two weeks and her milk supply hasn't changed at all.  Our son is 9 months old.

• I can’t see how restricting carbs would have any bearing. Mankind has only been eating the hell out of carbs for a short time. 

• Brandy
    • Brandy.1
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I just started. :) Still breastfeeding my 12-month old. And was told by my doc to start with no less than 50 carbs (net)/day. So far, I'm doing well, no changes in my supply (it may have actually gone UP a bit with all the hydration) and I've lost 5 lbs in about 2 weeks. :) How are you doing? Still going?

Like 1
  • I did low carb while breastfeeding many years ago and I do recall there was a reduction in my breast milk volume. It seemed less sticky too, tbh. I increased carbs from 20 to about 50 net per day and that normalized the breast milk but spurred massive food cravings. I ended up weening my daughter, (she was just turning two yrs old), and went back to the lower carb level and lost all of my baby weight in about six months  

Best of luck! 

• There are plenty of things that are much more important milk supply than your diet:

1. Make sure that baby is nursing efficiently.
    2. Nurse frequently.
    3. Take a nursing vacation. Take baby to sleep next to you in the bassinet.
    4. Switch nurse. 
    5. Avoid pacifiers and bottles when possible.
    6. Give baby only breastmilk.

I have been on the diet for over 5 months and my milk supply hasn't changed at all.  My little one is 6 months old.

Good luck! ❤️

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 319Views
  • 7 Following