Newer than a Newbie 😳😳

Hello,  I am so confused with this ketogenic style of eating! I gained 20’ish pounds over this last year and need it gone!! I chose the ketogenic diet because the food choices are more along the lines of the way I eat.  I need help in figuring out what my macros should be.  I tried to figure it out on my own and failed miserably!😜😜.   Also when I google answers about what I can and can’t have the information is conflicted.  Ugh! Advice appreciated!!

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Hi

what i did was calculate my macros based on what i want to lose. Here in this app you can configure them based on your goals

Like 2
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hello 👋 & welcome to the forum. 

Time spent reading heaps of varied posts in the forum will never be time wasted, you will learn so much ~ I did ~ and still do. Under “low carb chat”: see the header, Favourite Self Education for free links. Enjoy your journey of discovery 🌷the more effort you put in the more you will get out of it I can promise.

Starting out on Keto you need to focus on getting 20g or less carbohydrates, 3 meals a day, no snacks if possible (a few macadamia nuts with added rock salt if you must), no fruit, plants that grow above the ground, plenty and I mean heaps at first, of fats (heavy whipping cream, grass fed butter, olive oil, avocados, avocado oil, Keto mayo, fat on meat, full fat cream cheese etc. No alcohol. No milk or creamers. No grains - no flours. Ground almonds are okay but not almond flour or almond meal.  Focus on all the fabulous food you can have rather than thinking about what you can’t have. The scales dropped rapidly for me but now I try to weigh every 7-14 days. Take lots of body measurements and write them down. Fat melts off you. 😀 try a tight fitting outfit on ~ do it again every 2-4 wks you will be amazed.

Eggs, meats, fish. No sugar, no artificial sugar (cutting these truly cuts your cravings as you move into ketosis and then at about 3 weeks, becoming fat adapted ( you will know when you get into this as your appetite reduces a lot, naturally). Taking supplements magnesium, potassium, zinc and rock salt as much as you can tolerate of the latter, will all help with keto flu. I have learnt to ignore calories as your body sorts itself out when you learn to actually listen to it. 

Keeping carbs to a max of 20g a day is vital however for most of us. Once into ketosis, then fat adapted ~ protein should be moderate ie 3-6ozs per meal and high fat which goes against everything we formally believed. My bloods have NEVER been so good. Once fat adapted, you need to scale back on the fats a bit so that your body burns “your body fat” rather than fat you eat, but that is advanced stuff, getting through the first 2 weeks is the most difficult but if you want this ~ weightloss, improved health, you will do it! 🙌

Like 12
    • ShrimpMe
    • boatinfloatinhavinfun
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

When do you know to cut back on the fats?

Like 1
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

ShrimpMe I just added a link in Self Education about fats. Approximately, as each person is very different, at 3 weeks in you will find you are not able to eat everything on your plate, you will start eating your first meal of the day later and later ~ your appetite has reduced which means your body has switched over it’s fuel source to fat burning ‘fat adapted’.  If you continue to consume heaps of fats instead of plenty of fats (still essential) then your body will burn what you digest rather than what you have stored around your body as it is easier access for it. Learn to listen to your body it is new to me and fabulous 😀 sometimes I just have to eat a piece of good cheddar with a bit of organic butter on the top 😋. Once you are skipping a meal, down to eating twice a day you are intermittent fasting, again further advanced stuff and the weight drops off ~ but it all happens naturally, this is a fabulous journey of self discovery. 🌷

Like 5
    • James
    • James.1
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Using the calculators on this site is helpful, if you just start by keeping your net carbs under or at 20 per day, total carbs minus fiber, increasing fat intake, then you will start losing weight, and may not need to track all foods, as mentioned below there are lots of apps out there . . .

Like 1
  • Joanna  Thank you for the wealth of information! I’m trying to get the hang of it but seem to go over my fat/protein/carb intake everyday! Ugh! I am 5’2, 140 pounds and im not super active.  My goal is to lose weight and I have been eating only keto recipes for 4 days now.  I am unsure of allowable portion sizes but with trial and error will eventually get the swing of things!😜

• Joanna 

Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 309Views
  • 6 Following