Can i increase to 50g carbs & still remain in ketosis?

I’ve been on the keto diet for 3 wks. I eat up to 15g net carbs/day. I THINK i’ve been in ketosis since day 4 atleast according to the ketone test strips (keeps showing i’m at the moderate level of 4.0 mmoL/L). I’ve lost 8 lbs...does that sound like the  right amount to lose after 3 wks?  Anyways basically i’m starving! For some reason fat & protein are not getting anymore filling then when i started this diet. I had heard u can go up to 50g of carbs maybe after a mth or idk how long & u can still remain in ketosis? If i had up to 50 g rather than 15g, then i could easily fill up bc i could have atleast 1 huge bowl of salad a day & thayt is very filling for me. Instead i’m not even getting any salad at all bc the thought of a small salad just doesn’t appeal to me lol i like them large.  Is there anyone here who could give me some tips/advice on this? I’m scared if i increase the carbs to 50g i might not be in ketosis...although i could slowly increase & keep checking my ketone levels but are the pee strips really reliable, thats other thing i’m wondering about...thank you for ur time & any words of wisdom would be much appreciated😊

5replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • KristaY
    • texas_gamer
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I just ate a huge salad with Romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes and chopped red pepper and I'm still well under 20 net carbs. Why not just gradually add in salad to take you up to say, 30 net carbs, and then use your ketone strips to see if you go out of ketosis over the next few days. If you don't, then increase your net carbs a little more. You will find the tipping point. That's my thoughts anyway.

• Weegal
    • Weegal
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

KristaY thats good advice, yeah i should just throw in a salad a day & keep eye on ketone levels...

• Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

My personal experience is to eat more fatty proteins, add some cheese and nuts too. Don’t concern yourself with macros at this stage ~ if ever to be honest. If you learn to listen to your own body, you will even out to what you need to lose weight, provided once fat adapted (takes 3 weeks to 6 months for some people) you only eat when genuinely hungry.

Importamt for Keto: Until your body becomes fat adapted if you are still hungry eat more of the above, same applies once you are fat adapted to be honest. I would personally never fill up with carbs as they lead me down a rocky road to wanting more. Try watching a YouTube link I just posted, ‘Wonderful Interview’ about living zero carbs (!) it explains such a lot. Hope it helps,  but if it doesn’t don’t be afraid to say so.

Don’t be hungry.

Jo 🌸🌷🌸

HW289lbs CW183lbs GW170lbs

Like 1
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

How many calories per day do you eat every day?

Whatever it takes to not be hungry.  (I HATE being hungry.)   For my first few years on a zero-carb diet, I required about 2300 calories per day.  Now that my weight is much lower and I no longer workout, I only need about 1700 to stay satisfied.  Without carbs, I have found that the number of calories matters far less in regards to losing weight.  I’ve eaten a low/no carb diet while consuming around 3,000 calories per day, but that’s what it truly took to keep me full.  I wasn’t overeating, and thus, I didn’t gain weight.  But it doesn’t normally take that much to keep me full. And thank goodness!  Who can afford all that bacon?!

a snippet from Kelly Hogan’s blog.

• Weegal
    • Weegal
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Joanna thx Joanna! Will check out the video👍🏼

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 286Views
  • 3 Following