type II meds and Keto

I have been type 2 diabetic for years and got to the point that I had maxed out dosage of metformin and glimeperide and when my last blood panel came back A1c 8.6 I was prescribed insulin and told to start at 10 units and test and titrate till I found a good dose. I had bad low sugar episodes and was told to eliminate the glimepiride. That stabilized things but I was on a ton of meds and 60lbs overweight. Also there is NO generic insulin so about $400 foir 3 months supply. That is when I started looking for alternative therapy. I bumped into Keto when I read about “keto flu” and saw just how much it was like narcotic withdrawal. Eureka! Carb withdrawal! About 1 month into ketosis I have lost about 15lbs and my average Ketones test between 1.5 and 2.0 mmlo/L steady. However I am still very much in "keto flu’ in that I have extreme fatigue and brain fog constantly. Also I was expecting to be able to reduce dosages of metformin and insulin but when I do my blood sugar spikes to 140 mg/dl area. I am now thinking that perhaps I am not able to produce enough insulin on my own to handle the residual carbs in the keto diet. Is there some test I can ask the doctor to do to see if I am super insulin resistant or perhaps not able to produce much insulin at all? All suggestions welcome.

1reply Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • after having fasting blood sugar testing 140-150 mg/dl no meds I took 1000mg metformin and 10 units insulin yesterday morning and tested fasting 82 mg/dl with ketone 1.1 mmol/L.  having been in ketosis steady for a month now I get the feeling I am not quite ready to ween myself off meds.  Can someone suggest a test to determine if my pancreas is capable of producing insulin??  I am going in to have blood work read and another blood panel perscribed soon.  thanks.

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 1Replies
  • 74Views
  • 1 Following