Better to be under on calories or fat??

Hi, first day following and I’m a bit over on carbs and a bit under on calories and fat. Should I try to get more fat in and not worry about the calories or just be done for the day?

2replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Karen M
    • Living, Loving, Working in the Permian Basin Oil Field
    • kmvause0386
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

My suggestion is to just be done. Trying to stay at or under the carb goal is more critical than getting to the fat goal. What I do is stay at or under carbs, get to protein, let fat be under if it is. And pat yourself on the back for getting through your first day!!

Like 3
    • Sherlock
    • Sherlock
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I would suggest getting more fat in because in order to attain ketosis you will need to maintain the 75/20/5 macro until your body becomes fat adapted. Right now, on day one you are a sugar burner. So being under on fat, and over on carbs leaves you a little short of that goal, but you are close and will be learning every day. So, keep trying it will get easier. I think it is important you know your ketone levels, everybody is different. I would suggest you get a Precision Xtra that will enable you to check both blood sugar ($0.50/strip) and ketones ($1/ strip). You will be able to see what works for you and how strict you need to be with your macros. Urine test strips only work until your body becomes fat adapted as then it will no longer dump ketones in this way. Good luck, you are close, but I do think you will benefit from feedback specific to your body.

Like 2
Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 213Views
  • 3 Following