Cheese carbs

Hi everyone! Hoping someone can help answer a question for me. When adding food to carb manager I always try to scan the barcode to get my exact item, but when I add shredded cheese like mozzarella (& others) it will have it at 0 carbs.  Like today I used 1 cup of mozzarella and it put 0 carbs, but the package says 1 carb for 1/3 cup serving.  Which is right? Should I figure in what the pkg says? 🤷‍♀️

8replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Shvrngrl
    • Shvrngrl
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I scan a lot too, but never paid attention to accuracy. Thanks for posting, I’m checking from now on. I do know that it’s recommended to eat block cheese and grate it yourself. I’ve read preshredded cheese has starch added to prevent clumping. 

Like 3
  • I have never encounter this. Usually the package would say 0 carbs but when I scan it then Carb Manager says 1 gram carbs. I would error on the the highest carb number to ensure you stay under your goal. And I agree with buying block cheese. It is better for you and generally lowest in carb content. 

Like 1
  • Look to see if anyone has edited the item, you may have to scroll down a bit to see. Otherwise you can select the button in the upper right and click to edit the nutritional values. Go by what is on the product itself if there is a variance. 

• I entered a brand of fish that was already loaded.  It was off and I edited it per the package and notified whomever. (there is a button for that )

Like 1
    • Sly8913
    • Sly8913
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I would also go by the package. Almost all shredded packaged cheese has carbs because of the additives like cellulose. They use it to keep it from sticking together. I almost always shred my own so I don’t burn up extra carbs. 

Like 1
  • Sly8913 Glad this topic came up. I checked the cheese options the other day and it is not worth buying sliced cheese :)

Like 2
    • Sly8913
    • Sly8913
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

debra06201374ad   Yeah I would just buy the real block cheese and slice it myself. It lasts longer in a block anyway.

Like 1
  • Sly8913 Since I dropped plastic cheese to sliced real cheese to blocks I am sure it is better for me and cheaper :) 

Like 1
Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 8Replies
  • 172Views
  • 6 Following