Diabetes meds

I started the keto diet Jan 1st and I have been doing good staying close (under) to my macros, but I can't seem to get my ketone level right. Does anyone know if Victoza and Metformin would have any effect on my ketones or am I doing something wrong?

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Metformin shouldn’t don’t know about Vitoza sorry. Have you read the Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung - all about insulin ~ brilliant stuff and I am not half way through it. He mentions all kinds of diabetes medications. Very exciting deeply thought provoking. 🌷

Like 1
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I would be careful measuring glucose levels off the bat maybe more than usual.  You may want to consult with your diabetic  practioner with the meds your taking. Just tell them your following ultra low carb higher fat if they don’t know what ketogenic is. Amazingly enough a lot of practioner don’t know what ketogenic is but may have heard of it. I’m thinking if your in the zone of the eating you may be fighting against the meds. I would get a blood meter for the ketone aspect also. Precision xtra I use. 

Like 1
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

And what Joanna said- with more self education of DM 2 and metformin. Two meds on keto scares me, don’t want your sugars to totally crash.  

• badmojomn 

• madwolf74986e I know my meds won't let me crash. I'm going to the Dr.  Tomorrow, I guess I'll see if they know anything. Thanks

• kathe555
    • kathe555
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

madwolf74986e Keep us posted!

• Dr. said Metformin and Victoza will not impact ketones. I was told to not monitor or worry about ketones, yet. Dr. said it may take me longer to get into ketosis, because I am insulin resistant.  

Like Follow
  • 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 255Views
  • 4 Following