How much would a cheat meal set me back?

I've been struggling with dieting for roughly a decade now, with no success. I've tried all sorts, and the Keto diet is the latest one I'm trying... and hoping I have better luck with.

I was talking to a friend recently, just before I discovered this diet, and they suggested that the reason I failed with the previous ones is because I tried going cold turkey... completely cutting out everything, which they suggested made me crave those things to an extreme.

My question is... Say I follow the Keto diet exactly for 13 and a half days in a fortnight, and have one burger meal from McDonalds for... Let's say lunch on the 14th day, then returning to normal after that meal. Just one meal in a fortnight.

I'm wondering if that would set my diet back much?

I hope this post made sense, and thank you for your time.

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

AussieEevee EverYone is different and I guess I wouldn’t focus on your cheat day soon into starting keto with white flour or non keto friendly items. What happens is it sets people back and can deteriorate your process to moving to not having carb cravings. What you could do is start lower carb, work your way to keto. Mindset is so important starting keto. You have to be dillagent starting out and talk yourself into recognizing white flour and high starches are poison to our bodies. If you had a super high carb junky diet to begin with, transitioning to fat adaption may be a little uncomfortable for you, but after fat adaption you will thank yourself for sticking to it, and the pounds come off. Read all you can about ketogenic prior to starting. It’s not really a way of life just jumping into it not knowing a lot about it’s benefits, what you can and can’t eat, and how we live.  

Like 2
    • BMOB
    • BMOB.1
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Eating high carb on a cheat day will unfortunately undo all your hard work as it'd kick you out of ketosis which is what helps burn fat.. in saying that I wonder if you managed to stay under your carb goal it wouldn't be as sabotaging? Even if that means having half a burger lol. Key is not to be too hard on ourselves stress will make it harder. Def ease yourself into it, maybe invest in some keto sticks to keep you motivated, seeing the dark purple has def kept me motivated 😁 oh and seeing the scales actually change. 

• A cheat meal will set you back, but it is more about what your cheat meal is. Even and keto, fast food is still an option, as long as you are staying within certain guidelines. You can order a burger without a bun, without ketchup, and still be safe. You would be surprised as to how many fast food restaurants have come to accommodate that request. I had a slip up yesterday, with an alcoholic beverage that had a high carb content, as well as a high alcohol by volume content, and needed to absorb that alcohol with bread. I gained 0. 2 pounds, but I think it is just as much what you have eaten during the day before your slip up or setback and what you do after. You do run the chance of kicking yourself out of ketosis, which means you have to work to get back into ketosis.

I start every morning with a tumeric coffee. I think that in itself helped tremendously with the extra carbs I consumed.

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 543Views
  • 4 Following