Two weeks in and frustrated...

Hi everyone, my name is Jennifer and I am two weeks in. I am 6 days shy of my 42nd birthday, 5'2" and weighing in at 166.0. I am not new to Keto, I have tried in the past but my frustrations always got the best of me and I would give up. I started Keto again to feel healthy and to hopefully lose some weight. My starting weight was 170.0, which is the heaviest I have ever been in my life, even when I was pregnant was I never this weight. My feet hurt all the time and I know it is because of the weight. 

Anyhow, my frustrations have started up again. Two weeks in and I have only lost 4 pounds. I feel like I am doing everything right and still I bounce up and down within these 4 pounds. I am not eating any processed foods and I am walking 3 miles a day at least 4-6 days a week. I have measured myself and it seems like the inches also come off and then back on. The only thing I can think is that maybe the mixed nuts and berries that I eat every now and then could be throwing me off? Maybe my macros are off? I just didn't want to be stressed out about meeting macros and calories that I haven't been tracking.

I just wanted to vent a little on here, where I know I might be understood a little better and hopefully get some advice that will help me stay the course. 🙂

18replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Jacqueline
    • Jacqueline.9
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Same, like eerily same except I have only lost 2 pounds, really? Too boot, before everyone chimes in about measurements,  I have increased 2 inches on the waist, with? Also taking ketones an added expense,  so I feel ya, I upgraded to paying for this carb app, following and really no results.  I mean 2 lbs could just be water weight,  and I dont feel better at all.

Like 1
  • Jacqueline Thank you for your reply. It is nice to know that someone else out there is struggling with the same. Hopefully it gets better for us. 👍

• ckettner
    • ckettner
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am 50, in 3 weeks.  Been doing this for 4 weeks and lost one pound!?!  So frustrated.  I barely understand this app?  I think I need to call customer service?  I thought if I just keep my carbs down it would “be easy”?  I can’t figure OUT macros?  If you log and it/ they go up?  Don’t eat it?  You are doing SOMETHING right!!?  😉

• ckettner I weighed in this morning and I am a pound heavier. Lol. I eat what I should and don’t eat what I shouldn’t. I can’t seem to understand what I could be doing wrong. My husband has lost about 20 lbs in these 2 weeks and I can’t get passed the 3-4 lbs. 😑

• Rodger
    • Rodger
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi all

its a matter of balance. I've been doing keto since February. A number of things come together to make keto work properly. First make sure you get the proportions right 75% fat, 20% protein & 5% carbs. Second, make sure you limit protein which can also turn to glucose and keep you out of ketosis. I aim at keeping protein below 60grams a day.

Third, drink 2-3 litres of water. WATER = FAT LOSS

Fourth, get good sleep and 
    Fifth, MONITOR everything.

Also recognise your weight WILL vary day by day and has nothing to do with diet. Our bodies are amazing machines. If you work harder trying to get the pounds off our body will respond by CONSERVING energy - it knows it might need it. So weight stays the same. Weight varies with daily fluctuations in fluid - you can't influence that other than drinking plenty of water. Thirdly, your bowels hold varying quantities of waste. Don't be put off by daily scale weights.  WATCH THE TREND OVER TIME.

Hope all this helps

Rodger

Like 1
    • Rodger
    • Rodger
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Jacqueline see my reply. Keto works. Don't give up

• Rodger
    • Rodger
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Jennifer M Palacios Jacqueline women in particular are affected by changes in hormones (as are men but not to the same extent). Your weight will vary day to day sometimes increasingly upward. Don't despair - be patient. If it takes 3 yrs to reach your goal so what? You will get there....just be patient. See also my reply above. I've also attached my weight loss graph since July. You will notice the daily variations but note also the trend

Like 1
  • Rodger Hi Rodger, thank you for the advice. I started logging everything into this app yesterday and noticed that I was not hitting any of my macros. So I adjusted and am excited to see how this helps me. I know that I am losing inches because my clothes are fitting much better. I tried on a smaller size jean and I fit into them. I need a few more inches to come off before they will be jeans that are comfortable enough to wear all day. But, keto is working and I am feeling much more motivated. I did notice that I am not hitting my fat or protein macros so I did drink a protein shake before bed. But I am confused about which macros are more important to hit daily (fat or protein). I also noticed that the past few days I have not been drinking as much water as I used to drink, so I will be fixing that today. 🙂

• Anna
    • Anna.56
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am 42. 5’2” and doing everything I should but I am gaining weight. I am currently 148 lbs and my scale last week said 145. Ugh

• Anna Isn't that the most frustrating of all. 😖 I am trying to ignore my frustrations with the scale and just focus on the way my clothes are fitting me. Although, seeing the scale drop would be so awesome.

• Rodger
    • Rodger
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Jennifer M Palacios well done. I said elsewhere, following a keto diet takes work. As to which is more important-fat or protein? The answer is fat and make sure its good fat such as that from avocados, olives, coconut oil, full fat dairy etc Avoid the salamis. Too much protein can also wreck your progress so keep it in check - no more than 20 per cent of total intake. Remember the two important things are 

1: getting the right balance (75/20/5)

2: being consistent in your intake total eg 1500 cals a day or whatever is right for you and your build

Like 1
    • Lyz
    • Lyz.1
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Jennifer M Palacios same here ! I’ve been doing the keto diet for 2 weeks and i’ve only lost 5 to 7 Lbs depending  on the day, while my boyfriend lost 20lbs. 😑 My next step is to cut berries... 

• Rodger Thank you, Rodger. I did much better with my macros today and the hubby and I walked our 3 miles. I’m just trying to remain patient. 

• Lyz Hi Liz, I cut out the berries and nuts, just for a bit to see if that could be the problem. 

• Lyz
    • Lyz.1
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Jennifer M Palacios oh ! Let me know how it goes for you !

• Lyz So, I eliminated the berries and nuts and made sure to meet my macros, also did a 3 mile walk and I woke up this morning weight 1 lb and a few ounces less. So I think measuring and tracking all my food, is definitely helping. 👍

• Happy Birthday!

As a parent, there were certainly times you were frustrated, but you didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Stay focused on your goal, and keep at it - you got this!

• Irbluebutterfly Thank you for the birthday wishes! And thank you for the support. I know I need it! 😊

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 18Replies
  • 101Views
  • 8 Following