Convinced to Try Again

Hi everyone. My name is Maria and I started low carb again January of this year and have thus far lost only 15 pounds.  I know that is a good thing, but I can't figure out what is slowing me down.  I do have type 2 diabetes and I am 63 years old (64 next week).  I don't exercise because  I'm lazy and Arthritis and neuropathy make it too difficult to walk. 

I am very confused because, although I do try to stay below 40g of carbs every day, there are times when I do have more (usually pizza, or a bread of some sort) and yet on those days I tend to lose a pound or so and my sugar will go up the next day (that I get), the weight loss I don't.  Could it be that my body requires more carbs than I am using?  I can't find a doctor that will help me with this.  All my doctors are still of the "low fat" mentality, Even the dietician I went to insisted I have 30 carbs with every meal and snack.  I tried to explain to her that the carbs are making me ill and increase my pains, but she insisted that carbs are necessary to our well being.  I know for a fact that is not true because I have been experimenting for almost a year and a half now and when I do eat a lot of carbs, I can barely move the next day and I feel really sick like I want to die.  On the days that I am clean eating, I feel so much better.  But I do need to lose more than 100 pounds to be at an ideal weight. Is that even possible at 64 years old?  I'll be happy to get under 200 even. 

Thanks for any advice you can offer. 

Sincerely,

Maria

2replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • LadyDKT
    • LadyDKT
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I don’t have advice....I can just say that we have to remember that we can get the necessary carbs from veggies etc.   I follow and learn from Dr. Annette Boz (her YouTube channel and her book “Anyway you can” ) and Dr. Ken Berry.   

I am 52 and also have a significant amount of weight to go down —- this is so doable.  For the first while be as strict as you can.  

You’ve got this!!!

Like 2
    • goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

15 lbs in a couple of months is pretty good, not sure what you were aiming for. 

How did you come up with 40 carbs--did the app suggest it?

How often are you going too high with the carbs?

I aim for no more than once a week cheat, that has been working for me.  Others might need to be more strict to have success, others less.

Lots of folks with arthritis do exercises in heated pools at gyms or hospitals that have them--might be an option for you. 

Like 1
Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 28Views
  • 3 Following