Cholesterol

I’m only on day 3. So I’m still very much a rookie. Tonight, I noticed how much cholesterol I’m consuming and it’s somewhat alarming. Is this ok? Today was over 700%. Yesterday over 300%. 

Thanks 

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Sorry, I misspoke. Today I consumed 774mg of cholesterol. Little worried about that number. Is that typical on a keto diet? Is that.....ok? Haha. 

• Good question.  My cholestral numbers are a bit high and I take a 10mg statin, which is quite low. My cardiologist suggested to monitor my saturated fats. So that’s what I do, for instance coconut oil is over 14 g sat fat compared to 7 g for butter. So I ditched the coconut oil and use butter or olive oil. My blood tests have improved doing this, even before I started the statin(I started the statin 3 mo this ago)

Like 2
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

joshua.hnt Yes, it's okay. Our bod will utilize it. I ditched my cholesterol med. It doesn't work well for ketogenic . 

Like 2
  • It might be best if you spoke with your health professional also. 

• Does the Carb Manager App calculate Saturated fats? 

• Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

And this depends if your following ketogenic or just low carbing. Most health professionals are against ketogenic, and hard pressed to find a cardiologist that is in tune with ketogenic. They will be however possibly supporting the meditarainian lifestyle. My practitioner isn't supportive of ketogenic, so I have had to do a lot of research on it myself. If someone is worried about cholesterol and following the ketogenic diet, there are several published studies and links you can find information on.  Tim Noakes and countless other ketogenic supporters will help you understand cholesterol and saturated fats. I found a few good documentaries on "sugar" and eating fat, etc. I ditched my cholesterol meds long time ago - 

Like 2
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Although I consume lots of butter, oilive oil & avocado oil, 1tsp castor oil & 1 tbsp C8 MCT Daily,  my cholesterol has reduced considerably 🙌 no need for me to have meds now thankfully avoided being put on them, it was under consideration awaiting the blood results ~ cardiologist even said it was perfect! I never mentioned Keto just no sugar, no alcohol & Low Carb..... chicken I know.

Like Follow
  • 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 357Views
  • 5 Following