Low Carb Diet and the Flu

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, but I've been on a low carb diet for the past 2 months because I was diagnosed with PCOS and was told by my doctor that eating low carb will help regulate my insulin levels, which will in turn help my PCOS symptoms, the biggest one for me being weight gain. I've been a lot more active recently as well, and I've lost 12 pounds so far!! However, I just got the flu 😓 I've been feeling really sick and weak, and was vomiting all of Thursday night. The doctor checked me for the flu, told me I had this, and said I should eat the BRAT diet so as not to irritate my stomach further and give me energy. Yesterday, I ate half a pumpernickel bagel, oatmeal, and plain white rice. Today, I ate a bagel and some butter and will eat plain white rice again later. This is the greatest amount of carbs I've had in 2 months, and I'm worried that my weight loss efforts will be hurt by my eating all these carbs. I know I should be focused on getting better, but I don't know enough about the science behind low carb dieting, and I am really worried that I will be set back by this. If anyone could give me any input, that would be great! I've also been drinking a lot of gatorade, and all these carbs are making me feel a lot better. Thanks!

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Cscilley
    • cscilley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Instead of eating all those carbs, eat chicken soup, or broth.  

• R De
    • R_De
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

cscilley I have been but meat tends to make me nauseous even when I'm not sick, so the plain carbs have been helping to settle my stomach.   Do you have any other suggestions of low carb food I could eat to help my stomach?

• Cscilley
    • cscilley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

R De you cannot do keto and eat a lot of carbs.  You said meat upsets your stomach.  You can eat chicken,fish, cheese, cream, butter, non starchy vegetables.  You can eat a very small amount of nuts and seeds, a a very small amount of fruit.  If you have the flu, broth is best.  If you do not like these low carb foods, do a different sort of eating plan.  One in which you have to count calories to lose weight.

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 46Views
  • 3 Following