Here, because I am thick and tired of being thick and tired. :)

Hello all!  Glad to be here and to gain from everyone's experiences as well as hopefully some of mine.  

I was thin throughout my twenties, got into an abusive relationship, and let myself go every way possible.   With help, I recently dropped 206 lbs (lol) and I am finally breathing easier,  except for the fact that I do not even recognize who I see in the mirror anymore.  In a very miraculous turn of events, upon leaving that 4-year relationship, I all-of-a-sudden began the Keto diet which I used to use when I was younger when I wanted to shed a few pounds every now and then.  I have been on it - steadily - unwavering - for 15 days.    I have a long way to go though, and unfortunately, instead of it getting easier as I had thought it would, I am dreaming of sweets.   As such, looking for, and appreciate, a little direction. :)

6replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Jaqi
    • Jaqi
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

*share* some of mine. :)

• TheFaygoWaitress
    • You train in the gym. I train in the arena.
    • TheFaygoWaitress
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I use Sweet Leaf drops in my coffee and tea to sweeten them.  Dark chocolate is good too, but it has to have a minimum of 70% cocoa. 
    I also use crystal light original iced tea cause I loooove iced tea.  There’s barely a difference between that and regular iced tea. 

Like 2
  • Just completing week 4 here. I'm low carb/high fat which means I'm not in the keto zone of daily carb intake (20g/day). Urine test shows minimal ketones. Doesn't matter. Weighed this AM and I've dropped exactly 20 lbs in my first month. Starting weight 288.8, current weight 268.8.  I'd guess half of it is fat, the other half water/carb bloat. I noted at the end of week 3 my pants were looser and the arthritis symptoms in my knee have declined greatly which is no shock since high glycemic index carbs not only pack on pounds, but are inflammatory agents as well. My swollen ankles are gone and I am walking normally again. I'm stoked to put it mildly!

I'm still getting the hang of the low carb lifestyle and I don't track very closely but make guesstimates of fat/protein/carbs. I read labels before buying foods, especially carbs, low fat, and trans fat content.

I have some temptations, but they're fleeting and I remind myself of the misery of obesity and how it's not worth it and how my body has been a prison. It's robbed me of companionship of the opposite sex and has tanked my self image into the toilet.

Women can retain several pounds of water for a week or so at a time due to the monthly cycle so don't be too upset when the scale isn't moving as fast as you want. It tends to come in spurts frequently for me.  Also, I still drink sodas with aspartame in them. It doesn't seem to be causing me issues, though some people are very anti-aspartame/anti-artificial sweetener in general.

You may find this lecture on low carb eating from this physician helpful. I happen to live in his area and he takes my insurance so I'm switching to him come January. My current doctor's office is traditional and doesn't treat with nutritional guidance outside of the MyPlate myth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynoiVqg0itQ

Like 2
    • Jaqi
    • Jaqi
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

TheFaygoWaitress    Thank you.   A long while back, I used to love throwing Crystal Light Fruit Punch flavor and ice (and just a hint of Vodka so that the ice would not clump) in a blender.   May now try the Iced Tea, as that is definitely something I miss on Keto.  (I drink plain tea and miss the lemon and sugar).   Thanks again!  ❤️

Like 1
    • Jaqi
    • Jaqi
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Biff Tannen  OMG!  I am so happy for you!  I know it sounds somewhat cliche and perhaps a little condescending  since I don't now you, but I am SO proud of you.  You CAN achieve your goals.  For almost five years I too have been locked in this prison of fat and overall malaise, so to see someone overcome, makes ME feel good too.  

I am struggling a little.  When I first posted, I was craving something sweet and I was disappointed in myself because at first, I had not been, and I thought things would get easier as my body detoxed, not harder.  I did find that drinking some iced tea with half a Sweet N' Low and a squeeze of RealLemon curbed the craving for about 24 hours, but unfortunately I am one of those you mentioned who are very anti-aspartame/anti-artificial sweetener and I think my deep purple Keto sticks go lighter after I do so.  I am terrified of slipping out of Ketosis and not being able to get back.  I have no idea how much I weigh and have not been to see my doctor in months, but I can tell that my face is leaner, as are my wrists.  That, and posts such as yours, keep me going.  ❤️

As for the link, thank you, too.  I was studying (or rather, researching) the effects of insulin on the body a few months back.  That, and intermittent fasting.  I haven't seen the video in its entirety (listening to it now), but it seems to cover some of that.

Like 1
    • Jaqi
    • Jaqi
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Biff Tannen  Watched the video, and it indeed had a lot of correct info.  He was ahead of his time, for sure!  It is funny, looking back now at some of the comments which were left for him by people years ago. I wondered, while watching it, how many of them got super fat and have now changed their tune.  😈

Like 1
Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 81Views
  • 4 Following