I’m new and I need help.

Hello, I’m 49 and I want to  lose 40 lbs. I have been trying Keto for almost 4 weeks. I was down 8 lbs but this week I have gained 4 lbs. I haven’t changed anything but I’m really frustrated. I’m about to quit. Can anyone help?

4replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Fluctuations are common, but that does seem a bit much.  Could it be menstrual?  A lot of people have good success breaking through slumps by eliminating dairy for a week.  For others switching things up by not eating the same things, or at the same time, or the same macros every day helps.

• Withrow Urban Homestead
    • Retired Teacher, Wife, Mother, Grandmother & YouTube Blogger
    • Withrow_Urban_Homestead
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I’ve lost 120 pounds on keto and have been knocked out of ketosis and gained three or 4 pounds many times.

6-8 pounds is the normal amount of water weight when you get into ketosis. Gaining back 4 pounds would tell me something has knocked me out of ketosis.  

For me it can be hidden carbs. Some form of sugar has snuck into something that I’ve eaten most likely if I’ve eaten out. I’m diligent in checking ingredients and nutritional information but we’re basically taking a restaurant at its word.

Introducing a new food even if I’m keeping my net carb count the same can knock me out of ketosis.  Individuals react differently to different foods. Even if a product  says zero carbs it can impact blood sugar.

Not measuring and eyeballing portions can knock me out of ketosis. Going over just five net carbs can knock me out of ketosis. 

An intense workout doesn’t normally knock me out of ketosis but it does switch my muscles to burn glucose which my liver produces and stop burning fat so it actually slows down my weight loss. Less intense workouts are better for me for weight loss because they burn fat. 

Illness will raise blood sugar. That can knock me out of ketosis and make me gain 4 pounds. Stress can increase adrenaline and knock people out of ketosis. Excessive caffeine can raise adrenaline which raises insulin and knock some people out of ketosis.

Drinking my calories instead of eating whole foods can knock me out of ketosis because even if it’s lower carb the carbs are observed quickly into my bloodstream. 

I’m 54 and post menopausal and find my body is much more sensitive to net carbs & calories then when I ate Keto in my late 30s. 

Like 3
    • marechm
    • Retired/disabled
    • marechm
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I to have lost then gain pounds. So I started keeping a Ketosis chart and it let’s me know whether I doing okay or not. I am going to try eliminating dairy. Unfortunately I love the heavy cream.

• marechm
    • Retired/disabled
    • marechm
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Withrow Urban Homestead I like many of you examples of how certain foods and excercise can knock you of Ketosis. I’ll start watching for them. You are right going to a restaurant is very hard. I am trying to stay home and stick to my plan.

Like 1
Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 47Views
  • 5 Following