Started great, challenged with protein

I'm pretty new to my keto diet but am really loving it as it already contains a lot of my favorite foods and, of course, butter! I didn't seem to have trouble kicking the carbs.....but protein seems to be my nemesis.

Seems like a lot of suggested meal plans exceed my entire daily intake of protein leaving nothing for the remainder of the day.  Even if I focus on veggies and lean meats (chicken, venison) and fish I continue to struggle to keep the protein in check.

Any recommendations?

4replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • marmie234
    • marmie234
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am having the opposite problem. I can’t get enough protein! 

• Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Focusing on lean meats is not going to solve your protein problem. You should be focusing on fatty meats like porterhouse or New York steak, pork ribs and bacon, dark meat poultry, salmon. I don't care for dark meat poultry, so when I make chicken breast I have to add a lot of fat to balance that out. If you're going over your protein goals then you just need to look at reducing your portions of protein.  If you are following meal plans or recipes, it's easy enough to enter that into your daily log prior to even preparing it and that will tell you where you're going to be at for protein. If it's going to be too much, reduce the portion of meat in the meal.

Like 1
    • Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

marmie234 when I was first starting I often found myself short of protein as well. My solution was one cup of chicken bone broth with a scoop of collagen peptides, a teaspoon of lemon juice, pink salt and some seasonings.  It was delicious and had 17-18g protein, 0 carbs or fat.  As I got more adept at working within my macros, I found that I was rarely needing that protein boost.

Like 1
  • Moondrake Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it

Like 2
Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 64Views
  • 3 Following