Between Ketosis and Fat-Adapted

Random question, since I can't find any good reading material on it: I've read that it takes 3 days to 2 weeks to get into ketosis, but 4-6 weeks to become fat-adapted. What's going on in the meantime?

5replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Once you are in ketosis and maintain it for several weeks your body becomes more efficient at burning ketones for energy. Once fat adapted your body is using stored energy (fat) as well as dietary energy (fat) for fuel in place of glucose.  A sugar burner is constantly fueling with carbs therefore not accessing stored fat for energy.  That happens only when glucose is not enough to provide energy, like during fasting.  Non keto people will have ketones present sometimes in the morning if their last meal was several hours ago but once you eat carbs/sugar then glucose is prioritized.  

• Once fat adapted, will the body then ignore carbohydrates, or will it always seek out carbs first as a fuel source? Will one high-carb meal reverse fat-adaptation?

• Krazykatlady 

Carbs are easier to access for energy so they will get burned first. However after fat adaptation especially after an extended time, a high carb meal or day has no effect other than the water weight that comes with carbs.  It’s called metabolic flexibility.  Back to fat burning once carbs are burned.  Also really easy to go back to Keto without hunger, carb cravings.  Now if you continue to give your body high carbs for an extended period especially if you don’t burn off those carbs then your back to being a sugar burner.  I’ve been keto  long time.  We went on  9 day vacation, very active with a lot of walking and hiking. Ate everything and anything.  Came home up 8 lbs.  2 days later down those 8 lbs by doing very low carb and a bunch of water.  Part of the fluid was also due to 12 hours on a plane too.   

Like 1
  • Great information, thank you.

• Krazykatlady I don't think it ever ignores carbs as the body is geared toward self-preservation in starvation. That's why we continuously restrict carbs so the body doesn't revert itself.

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 90Views
  • 3 Following