Calories Goal - is that Net Calories?

This app, based on information I put in for a 20% deficit has me at 1469 calories as my goal. Now does that mean don't CONSUME past this number or don't NET (calories consumed minus exercise) past 1469? 

Initially, I was sticking to calories consuming but as soon as I synced my fitbit to the app I am all sort of confused as it now will minus my daily activities and steps. Any insight will help! (Based on not to exceed 1469kcal, I've lost 10lbs in 4 weeks, but now wondering if I could be overdoing it). 

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • reg84
    • reg84
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

First off 20% is a massive deficit and you're making it so much harder for yourself. 

I personally would ignore exercise calories mostly because watches and gym machines are not that accurate. 

At such a big deficit I would eat the 1469 at a minimum if you eat anywhere between 1469 and your tdee, you will lose weight.  One warning with such a big deficit is it could mess up your metabolism, making it much harder to lose weight down the line. 

• Bari Tone
    • Former Fat-Body
    • Bari_Tone
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

reg84 I do agree that gym machines are not accurate - but I find my Apple Watch is surprisingly accurate when running, swimming or cycling.  

I also agree to not "eat back" your exercise calories if possible - BUT - if you do need a few more calories, "eat back" no more than 1/3 to 1/2 of them.

•  Cabamjam said:
    This app, based on information I put in for a 20% deficit has me at 1469 calories as my goal. Now does that mean don't CONSUME past this number or don't NET (calories consumed minus exercise) past 1469? 

20% Deficit
    Calories count, even on a Ketogenic Diet.
    Research by Drs John Ivy and Layne Norton (independent of each other) determined that decreasing calorie intake 20% from what you were previously consuming, ensure greater fat loss and more muscle mass retention.
    Calorie Rotation 
    The body is a marvelous machine.  It quickly, learns ad adapts to ensure survival.
    The downside to that for weight loss is that at some your body will adapt to your new, lower calorie intake; you metabolic rate slow down.
    Research show that once that occurs, you need to reset your metabolic rate: increase your metabolic rate via this method...
    The MATADOR Weight Loss “Minimizing Adaptive Thermogenesis And Deactivating Obesity Rebound” https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28925405/
    The body adapts to diet change in approximately two weeks.
    Thus, at end of two weeks or when progress stops, you need to then increase your calorie intake.  By doing so, you metabolic rate will increase.  You will likely increase you weight a little.
    However, once you go back to a calorie deficit, you will lose that weight and even more.
    Research demonstrated greater fat loss and more muscle mass retention with this method.
    Bodybuilder have used this method for decades because it work.
    Cabamjam said: Initially, I was sticking to calories consuming but as soon as I synced my fitbit to the app I am all sort of confused as it now will minus my daily activities and steps. Any insight will help! (Based on not to exceed 1469kcal, I've lost 10lbs in 4 weeks, but now wondering if I could be overdoing it). 

Don't Get Burned by Calorie Counters http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/exercise-calorie-counters-work/story?id=9966500

As reg84 note, workout machine are incredibly inaccurate...

On average, the machines overestimated by 19 percent and the watches overestimated by 28 percent.

Here's the breakdown:

Treadmill: Overestimated calories burnt by 13 percent.

Stationary Bike: Overestimated calories burnt by 7 percent.

Stair Climber: Overestimated calories burnt by 12 percent.

Elliptical: overestimated calories burnt by 42 percent.

Fitbit and watches that measure calorie expenditure are unreliable, as well.

10lbs in 4 weeks

You're off to a great start. 

Kenny Croxdale

Like Follow
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 205Views
  • 4 Following