Stay at home mom needs help!

I'm new to this keto thing and I can use any and all advice, tips and tricks.  I’m a 37yo stay at home mom of two ages 10 and 8.  I feel like I’m letting my children and husband down because I can’t do the things with them that they would like me too. I have never been this weight before in my life, but depression got the better of me and I’ve gained over 150lbs.  I feel so overwhelmed that I’m not even sure how to start.  To make matters worse I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and my cholesterol is on the high side. Will this diet really help to lose the weight and reverse my health issues?

4replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Andrew Meyer
    • Software Developer
    • Andrew_Meyer
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Possibly, but with Type 2 Diabetes you should do it under doctor supervision. There are some potential risks depending on how severe your type 2 Diabetes is. Some things to keep in mind.

1. It is not necessary to be in ketosis to "burn"/metabolize fat. The body can metabolize free fatty acids through Lipolysis,this process however is inhibited when there is sufficient glucose around.

2. If you do try to do a Keto diet, drink lots of water. As the body uses up its stored supplies of glucose it will release a lot of water.

3. When entering ketosis a lot of the initial weight loss is actually this water weight. Generally speaking the oxidation of 1 glucose molecule yields 10 water molecules the whole process is quite involved and actually somewhat beyond my full understanding.

Here is a sites with good starter information and that cuts through some of the hype and misinformation:

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/09/measuring-ketones.html

If you want to dive deeper you can read  these:

Ketosis – advantaged or misunderstood state? (Part I) - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

https://www.diapedia.org/metabolism-and-hormones/51040851169/ketone-body-metabolism

• melmatte2916
    • Stay at home mom
    • melmatte2916
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Andrew Meyer thank you so much for the information.  As far as the type 2 diabetes, I was just diagnosed last week and just barely hit the threshold for being diabetic, my doctor didn’t even put me on medicine because she wants me to control it with my diet and exercise.  She also gave me the okay to do Keto.

• Andrew Meyer
    • Software Developer
    • Andrew_Meyer
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

melmatte2916 that's good to hear. From some of what I have read and podcasts I have listened to there seems to be a fairly good chance you could reverse your T2 diabetes.

I went of keto for about 6 months but I can't seem to limit my carbs enough, cravings get the better of me. Started to put weight back on, so I am back at it again.

• Gina
    • Gina.9
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Welcome 🍍.  Track everything, drink lots of water, consider adding electrolytes the first couple of weeks, add a good multi vitamin.  Opt for mainly healthier fats like salmon, olives, avocado, low carb nuts, coconut, olive and sesame oil with some full fat dairy.  Entering food in app before eating helped me learn to balance my Macros.  Good Luck 

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 16Views
  • 2 Following