First time keto with a few questions

Greetings, and thanks in advance for any help. 

Im a week into this and am down 4 pounds and am  pricing some positive and some negative effects. Weight loss is definitely a positive. My appetite has curbed significantly - which is huge for me and very encouraging. 

However, I’m still in quite a fog. A young child with horrible sleep patterns doesn’t help, but I still seem to have that so-called ‘flu’ feeling. I diurese some days, some not. With decreased appetite I’m able to lower my net carb intake. Still making a few adjustments. Measured urine ketones once a few days ago - they were present. But that fog! And some hair loss that I can’t attribute to anything else. 

I’m worried I’m not supplementing properly in this early stage of adjustment. Any advice on absolute musts? 

Thanks so much!!!!

Elizabeth. 

2replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • I got hit with keto flu on day 6, really hard and my diet was pretty decent before. To supplement sodium and potassium you should be using Pink Himalayan salt generously. Sometimes if I am feeling puny I will even take a pinch and place it under my tongue. Nuts like pecans and almonds are also good. Just about 5 of each of those can bring me out of a fog. Avocados and leafy greens are a good source of potassium as well. It isn't recommended to take a potassium supplement as using too much can be seriously dangerous.

You should be supplementing magnesium. Lots of people use CALM - available at health food stores or on Amazon. I take Magnesium Citrate 400 mg each night. Check labels for hidden sugars. Again avocados, nuts and greens are your best food sources but usually will not provide enough.

The keto diet is a diuretic so if you drink lots of water you will flush out your electrolytes. Without carbs your body has no way to store them. It is relatively imperative to supplement always. If feeling nauseated or heartburn, you can do 2 T ACV in water, or drink straight dill pickle juice and it will help right away. 

Like 1
    • scjudd1986
    • CAD Tech
    • scjudd1986
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Well, I was typing out a response and then ventured down and saw Kpgoldstar post. I second everything said here.

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 112Views
  • 2 Following