Plenty of protein, fat but not getting enough calories

Newbie here.  I hope someone has some ideas on how I can get this done better

Hi all, I am doing Keto since May 15.  I love it.  I have lost 15 pounds easily and love the intermittent fasting period. I fast for 18-20 hours every day without any hunger pangs. I cannot figure out how to get enough calories. I always have a 200 - 300 calorie deficit. But I have exhausted my protein and fat intake.  I can't seem to find the right mix of foods to make that happen.  
I stay under 14 net carbs, 82 grams of fat, and 66 grams of protein with 1200 calories.

10replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Hi,

If your main focus is weight loss, you don't really have to count your calories.  On keto, if you're doing it right, your appetite will be non existent on some days.  To increase your fats, try adding MCT oils and coconut oils to your foods.  I am always glad to help folks with keto.

Like 1
    • innkeeper
    • innkeeperwayfarer39fd
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Keto_robbyrob HI and thanks for replying.  My main objective is to get healthy, and losing weight is second.   I am getting more fat and protein than I should. I can't seem to get the calories (1200) right.  I am always about 200 under - like I posted above.

• innkeeper  well the good thing is you ARE losing weight.  How much vegetables do you intake, because that can assist?  And what types of food are you eating daily?

Like 1
    • innkeeper
    • innkeeperwayfarer39fd
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Keto_robbyrob I eat a lot of eggs, I have chickens roaming in my yard, they give me great eggs.  I have started to buy grass fed beef (never thought of that before) Loads of salmon,  6-8 cups of Kale, but I can't eat it, I drink it with avocado, celery, parsley, spinach.  I eat arugula with my own dressing.   I am from Europe, I do not like to eat the processed foods here in America.  I have always created my own foods from fresh, but I ate too much and foods that are too fatty.   So now I am dealing with a fatty liver and who knows what else.  I went into this Keto adventure because I am feeling my own mortality.   I educated myself and went full blast,  not eating any sweets, that wasn't hard, and eating and drinking only what is allowed.  Today for the first time, I fasted for 24 whole hours.  Not difficult.  This is totally going to be my new life.  Anyway, thanks for taking the time to talk to me.  I would love to hear what you propose I do.

Like 1
  • innkeeper wow 24 hr fast.  Congrats.  I haven't built myself up to that.  I usually do a 16 and 8.  Eggs are awesome, especially those fresh ones, lol.  Are you weighing your foods?  Salmon is great, just not too much because of the protein.  If you're eating it once a day, fantastic but with few calories you have, the salmon will put you over If you eat too much.  Great job with the green vegetables that's a lot.  Are you opposed to eating bacon?  Nuts? (Preferably pecans or macadamia nuts).  Have you tried keto coffee?  There is nothing wrong with counting calories if that's your thing, but if you're doing keto right, which it sounds like you are, you would be fine.  

Like 1
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Dr Jason Fung

https://youtu.be/5F5o0a4p_3U

on the subject of calories, enjoy.

• innkeeper
    • innkeeperwayfarer39fd
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Keto_robbyrob Yes, I am weighing my foods.  And that was a shocking discovery. I can't believe the amounts of food I used to eat by grazing all day, every day.   I have finally had coffee with butter.  That brought my calories to an acceptable level.   

Like 1
  • innkeeper hahaha, I know right.  Weighing your food opens up your eyes to a whole new way of eating.  Yea the coffee with butter is my go to for calories and fats.  My recipe consists of Kerrygold butter, organic heavy whipping cream (0 carbs), MCT or coconut oil and depending in how I feel a little stevia.

• innkeeper
    • innkeeperwayfarer39fd
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Keto_robbyrob holy smokes.  That's a big recipe.  I use Kerry Gold but nothing else.  I whip that baby into a foamy goodness and that's all.   LOL

Like 1
  • innkeeper hahaha hell yea.....foamy goodness.  Lately I've been drinking black coffee which is rare for me.  But later on if you wanna get your fats up MCT oil and coconut oil is the way to go.  Sometimes I make a single sometimes a double.

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 10Replies
  • 225Views
  • 3 Following