Day 1 of keto - did not reach the calorie target but maxed on the macros - need advise

Hi today was my day 1 of keto.  I almost reached the limit of all fat and protein intake but carb was a few grams over. But the problem is that almost maxing out on the macros my total calorie intake was still less by 200. Did any one else have the same experience? How do I balance the macros to calorie intake . 

6replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Sherlock
    • Sherlock
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Congrats on getting close. Don't think of the fat number as an upper limit, think of it as a lower limit. Put some coconut oil in your coffee, if you don't like the oil slick then blend it. Or some butter im a meal and you're there. Watch those carbs tho, don't let them get over 5%. Good luck

Like 2
  • I'm fairly new to this too, but from what I understand, you shouldn't worry about the calorie intake... The idea is to control your carb intake.

Like 2
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

gognab17d  focus on the net carb count, and the other macros on how you feel. Getting through the keto flu which is coming up for you will be an accomplishment. It can be a rough experience for some, I went over on everything, even carbs just a bit so I wouldn’t dig into my husbands pizza and potato chips in his secret drawer. I had to eat multiple Keto friendly nuts and squeeze cheese which isn’t good for us, but I had to do it. 

Like 3
  • In order to properly answer your question and provide you some tips, there needs to be more information.  What is your activity level, what is your macros looking, current weight etc.  One tip if your just wanted to shed is to have a slight deficit in your total maintenance calories.  However for a KETO diet,If you were 200 below your total intake but over on carbs then it may be harder to lose  that extra few pounds as your body will not able to become insulin sensitive causing the glucose to basically be utilized better and not stored or turned into that extra weight on your frame.  

Like 1
    • gognab17d
    • gognab17d
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Clifford Cornelio I weigh 187 

lb and am 160 cm tall. Aiming to lose about 50 lb.  I do at an average of 40 min cardio. Last 1 week showed that I am exceeding my carbs from 14 g ( my allowance to about 40 grams).  Doing ok on other macros. My total calorie intake seems to fine because of the work outs.  In the last few days my weight is fluctuating from 8-4lb towards the lesser side. 

• gognab17d  if I'm reading correctly..your allowance for carbs on a keto is 40 grams or about 160 kilocals.  If you are over by 14 grams (56 kilocals) you are actually consuming roughly 220 calories in carbohydrates which seems high.  What is your total calories?  1600 _-1800??  Your progress will unfortunately take longer and may frustrate you if your intake is exceeded. In order to lose you gotta (in short) be in a caloric deficit.  Hope this helps.  Meal prep should help you hit your macros.😀

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 131Views
  • 5 Following