Help!

katejones3791
Ok..only on day 2..and needing advice : I am really struggling...i am blowing all my carbs by midday and it is very disheartening. Today I had sausage and egg sandwich (minus bread) for brkfast. 1 small avocado mashed with shredded turkey and some cheese for lunch...and a coffee w/ cream...carbs gone! Help! 

13replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Karen M
    • Living, Loving, Working in the Permian Basin Oil Field
    • kmvause0386
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Kate, are you entering your food before you eat it?

I am not sure if you are asking what to do tonight but any plain meat/fat combo will do you.

If you look back on today, what carb could you have most easily by passed?

Like 2
    • Karen M
    • kmvause0386
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

BTW, don't be disheartened!! It takes nearly everyone some time to get this down. If you are doing well on your macros in two weeks, you will be doing good. It is a very different way of eating for most.

Like 1
  • Karen M thanks...i feel like I have barely eaten yet no more options left ..i see posts of people claiming they can barely eat all the carbs..that they are full...yet I don't feel like that...

• Karen M
    • kmvause0386
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

katejones3791 You are very welcome. When I did keto several years back - I was successful, don't know why I fell off the wagon - I helped in a large group. Learning to eat like this is very hard for most people. We are surrounded by carbs! 

Protein (with fat for cooking/flavor) first, carbs last. Did you have meals that were "successful" as in staying within a good ratio - that were low carb?

• I found that eating fat...beef, pork as in bacon, and coconut oil keeps me from getting hungry. The carbs I do eat ate from green vegetables. Logging before you eat keeps portions down. 

Like 1
  • Hi katejones3791 I'm looking at what you had and had already used your carbs. Are you counting Net carbs or Total Carbs? If you are Total Carbs, I can see it, but net carbs, what you have listed is like 4 g. In the forums, there are many people like me who count Net carbs, so that could be one difference in me having plenty of carbs and sometimes not getting to the limit and you hitting it so early in the day. Just a thought.

Like 2
  • mcollins026c705 I am using the "premium" program so I just enter the food and it calculates for me...and Yes , NET carbs

• Karen M
    • kmvause0386
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

What is your carb limit? It's hard to see how you would have reached it with those foods.

• Karen M  14 (net carbs)

• Karen M
    • kmvause0386
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

katejones3791 I am going to give you a suggestion. Keto is a way of eating that has to be learned. Most of us are coming from eating several hundred grams of carbs a day. You are literally changing habits of a lifetime. So 14 net carbs is super low. I would have a hard time doing that and although I just started back, I have several years of experience to fall back on. I suggest that you go with a slightly higher limit while you are acclimating to keto. Like 25 net carbs. You will still become "fat adapted" at that level. Getting your body to burn fat for fuel rather than carbs first makes a keto diet a LOT easier. For one thing, you don't get hungry nearly as fast and as hard. Even upping to 20 net carbs might do the trick. I know you probably have weight you want to lose like yesterday - I do understand - but consider taking it in phases.

Like 3
  • Karen M THANK YOU!! that is what I was looking for guidance on...i know this is a journey and not a "quick fix" so I need to adjust for success..i will manually adjust my macros..i  raising net carbs so I lower fat or protein..or both?

Like 2
    • Karen M
    • kmvause0386
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

katejones3791 My suggestion is to set your carbs and let it lower your fat rather than your protein. I get my protein in so I keep my lean muscle and hair. It won't lower your fat by much if you do it using grams rather than percentages. 

• jdurand2
    • jdurand2
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have a hard time seeing 14g of carbs in the food you listed.  Is your shredded turkey processed or fresh.  Beware of processed meats because they can have a high carb content.  I would check all your carb contents and see if there is something hiding in there, I made the mistake with some deli cheese once, I assumed all cheese was low carb and ended up getting some without checking (22g of carbs per slice!)  I would also suggest for getting into the low carb lifestyle to do a meal plan for the first week or so, allowing yourself room for a low carb snack if you need it (something like cucumber slices and cheese spread or salami with cream cheese and pepperoncini slices)

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 243Views
  • 4 Following