Understanding keto

Hi I’m new to the keto diet so still getting my head around it , been on it for 1 week now but really badly constipated 😬 so I had 20g of allbran which came up as a grade f food  it was 12g of carb so I’m still under my daily recommended allowance of 20g does this mean it wouldn’t have done any harm ? Or will it throw me out of Ketosis ? 

5replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Constipation and/or diarrhea are very common issues with the keto diet.  Most of those carbs in your fiber supplement were probably indigestible fiber, look at the difference between total carbs and net carbs on it.  If the net carbs are low then you should be fine. Even if the net carbs are high, if you're still under your carb allowance you're probably still fine. Psyllium husk is what most keto people seem to use for daily fiber. You can get it in capsules, you can buy it as a powder and stir it into your drink or cook it into your foods. You will see a lot of Keto recipes that call for psyllium husk as an ingredient.  Magnesium supplement also helps with constipation. It also helps you sleep, and helps prevent muscle cramps. Lastly, for me, a healthy cup of sauerkraut always does the trick for short-term constipation.

Like 2
    • dshean87
    • Makeup junkie and cubicle supervisor
    • dshean87
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Great advice from Moondrake! I am going to try some of those tips myself.

Something that also helped me was I eased myself into adding MCT oil to my morning coffee and that always helps get things moving. 

• MCT oil also helps me with constipation 

• Hokiemom
    • Hokiemom
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Are there any sugars that could throw you out of ketosis?

• Janice4945
    • Retired and loving it!
    • Janice4945
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hokiemom   I believe all sugars except the recommended ones (Swerve, Erythitol, Stevia, monk fruit.) will throw you out of Ketosis but pretty new here. Msybe someone else can help. 

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 95Views
  • 6 Following