New to Keto... starting tomorrow with my wife :) (Beef Substitute?)

Hi folks, I will have many questions... but the first one is where the meal plan calls for beef... what can I substitute it with? I don't eat red meat... usually I swap it for Turkey... but unsure if that will have the required fat content... I am starting with Keto meal plan 1 and will be going out to shop for the groceries this evening - also want to try and find a way for meal prep on the weekends due to little time during the weekdays for cooking. Were excited, and want to do a good job... the app is a learning curve, but we will figure it out... Also while I am at it... what is the best supplement to aid in getting into the keto program?

any ideas?

4replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Holly
    • Holly.25
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Welcome to your Keto Journey! If you prefer leaner meats such as chicken and turkey, that’s totally fine, just add in additional fats to the meal. For example if you want grilled chicken, top it with some full fat cheese, or add some avocado to it. Or make a taco bowl made with ground turkey. Supplement wise I use cod liver oil,  very rich in anti inflammatory omega 3’s. I also suggest milk thistle, this helps to cleanse the liver from all the fat intake. 

Like 1
    • AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You can eat any protein source you like, including poultry, fish, eggs, protein powders and vegetarian meat substitutes. The only thing is to make sure they fit your macros before you eat your meals. Also, many people don’t realize that you don’t have to eat all of your fat macros if you’re full. It’s important to get in your protein, and stay under your fat, net carbs and calories. Good luck!

Like 1
    • AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Also remember that some foods like dairy, nuts and seeds contain protein as well. 

Like 1
    • Showthyme
    • Showthyme
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I don't worry as much about fats. I gauge fats based on whether or not I am feeling hungry between meals. My focus is on carbs and protein first, then fats.

Since chicken and fish are considered healthier, I am limiting red meat to twice a week. My chicken recipes usually call for some type of cheese.

Otherwise, I eat almonds for lunch everyday and add creamer to coffee. On most days, that is enough to tide me over until dinner.

I have lost 60 pounds since April. This is the easiest "diet" I have ever done. 

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 64Views
  • 4 Following