After one whole week below 30 g carbs. What should my ketones reading on stick be?? Personal experience answers please!!

5replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • I was in between the 8-16 on color chart after 1 week

• Jpudds
    • Jpudds
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am also a whole week in:)and i am ranging between trace (5) and moderate (40)

• goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I think the answer is they should be present, if not then you might need more time or less carbs.

Everything I read says that the ketone amount will fluctuate individually as well as changing with the amount of time you are on the diet and with your dietary and fluid intake. 

So long as you are seeing that ketones are there, then your body is producing them to burn fat.

• keto sticks are notoriously inaccurate. If you are dehydrated, they will show dark purple and give you a false positive. The best way to track real time ketones is with a blood monitor. I recently purchased one and I compared the difference between the readings on the keto sticks vs. blood ketones. I was barely getting any color on my keto urine strips (0.5) but I was 1.4 using the blood ketones. Drinking too much water will also throw off the urine strips because your urine is diluted. Your body will also start to utilize some of those ketones after a few days so you won't have as many show up in urine. 

• Our bodies respond differently but you are in Ketosis anywhere from .5 on with blood monitor. Not sure how that translates to sticks. They aren’t as accurate so I guess you must show a trace?

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 193Views
  • 6 Following