New in keto

I don’t know how to start but I was trying my best nOt to eat carbs. I  have 27 net Carb limit I don’t know if it’s right ?

20replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Wildkat3
    • Wildkat3
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm with you.  And totally confused because the app only gave me 9 net carbs per day. I have 30 pounds id like to lose but that means I cant eat anything but meat. This just can't be right. 

• Hello. I am new and trying to figure out how many carbs I should have during a day. 

• I’m definitely not a keto expert, but I’ve done some research, and all of the research comes down to the same thing: ketones. Your body will produce ketones when you do not have enough glucose (found mostly in carbs) to burn for energy, so your body burns stored fat instead. That is why it is crucial to limit carbs on this diet. However, the suggested amount TO BEGIN a keto diet is to limit yourself from 30-50 carbs per day. My limit is 38 and I feel it is just enough. Unless you are a really good cook or a vegetarian, I wouldn’t suggest setting your limit to less than 30 a day. I’d you are experienced with keto, you could probably do less. Idk, sometimes I still fell tired and drowsy at 38 carbs. It all depends on your body!

Like 3
    • Wildkat3
    • Wildkat3
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

heathernf25  How do you determine the number of carbs you should have each day? I used this app and it said 9 net!  It's 2:44, I'm at 8 already and so hungry!

Like 1
  •  Wildkat3  I would play with the options a bit on the page where you set your goals. Something definitely isn’t right when your limit is 9 carbs a day! I usually have 9 carbs a meal lol. You can start out higher (I would say 35-40 is a good start) and go from there. If you feel after a week or so that you can do less, then adjust it! At some point you have to stop doing the stuff you read and trust your body! If you’re hungry, eat! Snacks are plentiful in my diet, but they are usually small and painless, like string cheese or a slim Jim. I think feeling kinda hungry is good, but 9 carbs for a newbie is insane! I hope this helps!

Like 3
    • mikcarp
    • CarbCrusher
    • mikcarp
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Wildkat3 you might of accidentally set your weekly weight loss goal to 30 lbs. If I remember correctly atthe start up of this app, it asks you how much you would like to lose per week.

• Wildkat3
    • Wildkat3
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

mikcarp Ha! I'll go check that!

• Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

For Keto 20g net carbs are perfect. Hungry? Eat. You need to heap the fats onto everything until you become fat adapted. Scrambled Eggs with grass fed butter, heavy whipping cream lots of seasoning, some bacon &  a couple of mushrooms fried in grass fed butter that’s just breakfast.... there is soooo much information within this forum and the many many links posted in our self education section.  Don’t go hungry you are unlikely to stick with it. Tuna patties & side salad or fried cabbage for lunch.  Chicken breast stuffed with full fat cream cheese, a little garlic, then wrapped in bacon - serve hot or cold ~ if cold, slice thinly, serve with a thin slice of grass fed butter to go with each chicken slice - yummy. Dig deep into the reading whilst enjoying a warming tea or coffee ~ black or heavy whipping cream 😋

Like 3
  • This is great!!!!

another question - do y’all get super thirsty? 

• kathe555
    • kathe555
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

jenbella08 I think drinking water will help with the keto flu and help flush the fat from our bodies.  Just a thought.

Like 1
  • kathe555 thank you and yes I agree. I am also going to buy electrolyte drinks. I’ve read they help a bit. But was curious if anyone else felt thirstier than usual. :-)

thank you for your post. 

• Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

jenbella08 If your feeling a lot thirstier you may need more sodium. Broths are important with sodium. A good quality one or make homemade with pink Himalayan salt. Salt your foods if you can stand it. Electrolyte drinks can contain artificial sweetners I’m not sure just make sure no weird stuff in them.  I remember the thirst. It’s the body keying you in- need more sodium and potassium possibly. 

Like 1
  • badmojomn the Ines I ordered are highly recommended by other keto groups.  They were also part of a keto box - they are called ultima replenishekectrolite powder. I will let you know how I do. 

Now I have not experienc d the bad breath that people talk about.  But my urine is soooooo strong omg. 

• New here and have some questions, when I set up my goals and selected Keto it gave me a net carb of 17, that is a 2lb wl per week and 1300 calories per day, does this sound right? If so how do I know the portion of what to eat, is a serving of meat like 3 or 4 oz, veggies a cup etc? What about snacks etc? I’m concerned with going over that calories because of all the fat calories, I’m so programmed to eat nonfat or low-fat, low calorie that this worries me. Also when I work out I burn 600 to 800 calories a workout will that help me loose more? Is there a website or book or anything that explains all of this somewhere? Thank you for any help or suggestions. 

• Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

jenbella08 urine shouldn’t smell foul. Make sure you don’t have a UTI. 

Like 1
  • badmojomn no UTI. 

I have looked into making my own broth but bought one to try and will have it this afternoon. 

• kamgrn
    • kamgrn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

kevpattil81e2 hi! I’m new to Keto and just starting to work out too!  I’m curious, what is you’re workout routine?  I would LOVE to burn 600-800 calories per workout. Thanks in advance!

• amycwalls
    • amycwalls
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

kevpattil81e2 I found a lot of helpful information on www.ketoconnect.net , they also have a podcast that I listen to. They have a macro calculator (with a tutorial) which will tell you exactly what your percentages should or could be. There are some pretty good recipes too.

Hope this helps! 

• kamgrn I live in Washington state and go to a all women Gym called Vie Athletics,  we only use body weight, free weights, bar bells with weight and kettle bells in our workouts. The workouts are different each day and are similar to CrossFit (burpees, mountain climbers, squats, lunges, push ups, pull ups, box jumps etc) not as intense and you tailor each exercise to your level. The workouts are great and no judgement compared to a regular Gym. If you live in Washington State in the South Puget Sound area look them up they have three locations, Puyallup, Tacoma and Bonney Lake they are so worth it! 

• amycwalls thank you I will check it out. 

Like 1
Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 20Replies
  • 595Views
  • 11 Following