Extended fasting

I've switched from Keto to Extend Fasting plus low carb on my eating days. This is attempt #3. The first 2 times I got  sick after just 24 hrs and pulled the plug by 36 hrs. I've stopped all my meds for several weeks now and am doing better this time around. I'm at 68 hrs and am just now starting to feel weak, shaky, and a bit nauseous. I'm at work, so there's not a whole lot I can do about it, except for the oatmeal cookies in the break room (curse you, cookies!!!) My husband is bringing me some bone broth and hopefully the glucometer (if the test strips arrived). If my sugars are too low, I'll eat real food. If they are in range, I'll drink the broth. Also, as of this morning, my Keto urinalysis steps still had me at only a trace of ketones. The first time I got sick, it didn't happen until after my ketones jumped from trace to moderate. If my ketones have gone up since morning, could my body just have an adverse reaction to ketones? Any advice for me? Anything on fasting and low carb on eating days.

5replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Dr Jason Fung is your man. Excellent EF advocate. YouTube 

https://youtu.be/tIuj-oMN-Fk

• I had to throw in the towel for this fasting session. I felt terrible last night and my glucose was at 59 this morning. I'm eating low carb for breakfast and lunch, then I won't eat again until Saturday (breakfast sms lunch). 

My husband fasted a whole 24 hrs longer than me and his blood sugar was 88. What's wrong with me?

• Sherlock
    • Sherlock
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Check out the early episodes of the podcast "Fasting Talk" lots of useful advice

• Karen M
    • Living, Loving, Working in the Permian Basin Oil Field
    • kmvause0386
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Potassium/Sodium Ratio!!

Your ratio of Potassium to Sodium needs to be about 4:1. Most people have to supplement to achieve this though it can be done with food alone. But definitely not when you are fasting! Before your next fast get some potassium citrate powder. Mix it up with a good sea salt (or other good salt) in water at the 4:1 ratio and sip on it all day. You will feel a LOT better and you might even beat your hubby next time if you don't tell him the secret!

• Karen M
    • Living, Loving, Working in the Permian Basin Oil Field
    • kmvause0386
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Dr Berg has an electrolyte mix with the correct ratio as well.

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 213Views
  • 4 Following