2nd week on Keto - very fatigued

I am on my 9th Keto day and extremely fatigued. I expected side effects the first week but week 2? What am I doing wrong. I am about 65 grams fat, 20 carbs, and 30 protein. 

13replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Candace
    • Candace.2
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Linda, I am 3 and 1/2 weeks in and the first few days (and a day or two in my second week) I felt tired as well as dizzy when I stood up and headaches. Get some electrolytes. I buy Zipp Fizz little containers at Costco and mix with water or get some pedialyte at your health or grocery store. Sounds like your not getting enough good fat too. Good fat gives you boosts of energy. MCT oils, avocados that type of thing. Did wonders for me hope this helps. 

Like 1
    • Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Your calories are too low, your carbs are too high.  Standard keto is 5% of your calories from carbs, 25% from protein and 70% from fat. The minimum safe number of calories for women is 1200 according to my research. If your stated numbers are correct , you are eating only 785 calories daily. That's way too low for an everyday count. Okay for occasional fasting but you need to be averaging at least 1200 a day, at least according to what I know. Additionally, you are getting more than 10% of your calories from carbs which is too high for a keto diet. I suggest you increase your daily calories to at least 1200 which would be 15 grams of net carbs, 75 grams of protein, and 93 grams of fat.

Carbs are 4 calories per gram.  20 x 4 = 80

Protein is 4 calories per gram.  30 x 4 = 120

Fat is 9 calories per gram.  65 x 9 = 585

Like 1
  • Moondrake Moondrake e

Like 1
  • Lynda South 

This makes sense. Thanks so much for taking time to explain. I have not even focused on calories. No wonder.! This is all so confusing.

Like 3
  • Candace 

• Candace 

Thanks so much

Like 1
    • Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Lynda South If you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer them if I can. It's easier to find me over in Groups.  I read the Keto Diet group several times a day. If you find my name in Groups, you can click on it and send me a friend request. That way you could look at my daily log for meal ideas and copy any of my recipes you might like.

Like 1
  • Moondrake 

• Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Lynda South Yes? 😊

• Moondrake 

A relative on Keto insists I should be taking two Glucosamine pills a day. I have never read anything on this. Do you know anything about this and if so why should I be talking ?

• Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Lynda South as far as I know, glucosamine has nothing to do with Keto. However, glucosamine is really good for joint health. It's the main ingredient in over-the-counter stuff like osteo Bi-Flex and other joint remedies. Economically it's better to buy it under its regular name rather than paying for brand-name versions. If you have arthritis or joint pain, it supposed to be extremely helpful.  my best friend took it in the form of Joint Juice, a fizzy drink they sell at Costco in the vitamin section. He said that it helped him a lot and he really noticed when he would run out. I give it to my dogs as they get older, and I have seen it work wonders on my giant breed babies. One of them had gotten so much pain in his back he couldn't climb the stairs anymore, and within a couple of weeks of starting glucosamine, he was up and down the stairs again for another three years. Usually the compound that is recommended is glucosamine chondroitin with MSM. I have read that it is better to take it in the liquid form as it's more bio accessible. I have also read that the first week or so that you start taking it it gives you extra joint pain, but that resolves and soon you are experiencing a good deal less pain.  It supposedly helps to replace the fluid in your joints that dries up as we get older. Do your own research, decide whether or not it's for you. But I've never heard any thing negative about taking glucosamine.

Like 1
  • Moondrake 

• Lynda South Okay I am trying to up my calories today and adhere to the grams you suggested. I have added a cappuccino made with 1/3 cup of heavy cream. Delish but nutritious?We will see if any energy returns. A thousand thanks for responding so quickly and thoroughly. 

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 82Views
  • 3 Following