Not losing much weight?

I started keto with my mom almost 3 weeks ago (this is my 2nd time and her first.) She has always been super carb loaded her whole life and she has easily 50 pounds to lose. I was most excited for her to start this thinking she would lose 10 pounds the first week. After the 2nd week she lost 2 pounds and I'm not even sure that's accurate cause our scale is messed up lol. I've lost about 10 and I'm surprised cause I gave birth a month a half ago and I have quite a bit to lose too. We are eating the same foods and same calorie and macro goals. I'm super OCD and weighing our foods. I have a massive keto rash like I did the first time. Just wondering maybe her age (64) plays a role? Does it take a longer time then others to start losing a lot of weight on keto depending on various factors? We are both feeling really discouraged but I'm trying to stay positive cause I know she will stop it once she sees I'm upset with my little progress ! Also does anyone recommend a fool proof calculater online to determine correct macros for body height and weight? Carb manager makes the calories way too high, we are both staying at under 1200. We are hitting our protein and fat goals pretty well on target everyday and are staying below 15 net carbs. This is all so confusing and frustrating. Don't want to be killing ourselves here for nothing !

8replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Amber
    • Amber.32
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I highly recommend reading or listening to the books Fast, Feast, Repeat or The Obesity Code. All our bodies are different and have different needs. Do it for the health and enjoy the weight loss as an added benefit. 

Like 2
    • Smurf
    • Smurf.1
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am definitely having similar problems, just finished the Obesity Code and am here trying to find  others that have been overweight for a long time and have finally found a way to reverse the insulin problem I clearly have.  I joined the FB page too, just waiting for acceptance.  I think it does have more to do with age and how long you've been overweight, I just don't know if it can be broken!

• Andrene
    • Andrene
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Smurf My mom feels better and looks better but just hasn't lost much weight. I definitely think her body is holding on to her glycogen stores which you need to burn through completely in order for your body to start adapting to burning fat. Just trying to be patient over here and I suggest the same to you! Until then, make sure your macros are all good and don't go over your protein. Also, count net carbs instead of total carbs and get in enough veggies and LOTS of water!

• It's good to not go under 1200 calories due to starvation mode so make sure your lowest is 1200. Also, it can take longer than 3 weeks to fully get into ketosis. Maybe some extra time is the key? I know, it's so much work and little progress is frustrating. That was me this past week. Lost 0 but it sure is better than what I was doing off keto!! :) You go this!

Like 2
    • Andrene
    • Andrene
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

CourtCarpenter my mom has lost about 10 pounds in 3 weeks and I've lost about 15 so I'm happy it's working for her, I think her body is definitely holding on to her glycogen storage ! I love keto so much it's crazy. We eat twice a day, by dinner I'm forcing it down cause I have no hunger. Even my breakfast i have no hunger. We are eating about 1130 calories, I cant possibly add more since this is already a struggle to eat !! But I've gotten such a horrible rash all over my scalp and now I'm getting swollen itchy bumps randomly all over my body. Really sucks 

Like 1
    • Saphyre
    • Saphyre
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So - depending on age and how much weight you have to lose will derermine how quickly it goes.  In addition - 1200 kcal seems low.  You should go figure out your TDEE and then make a 20-25% deficit.  ( i see this app does accunt for the deficit and for me it was maybe 100kcal off of my expectation for TDEE to start at no deficit. You have to feed your body and you have to drink at least half your body weight (in oz) of water to get rolling along through.  Expect plateaus, expect to NOT lose 10 lbs every 3 weeks. 

I know this works I lost 67lbs when I did this for a year and a half. I took off a year and gained back 20... so now I am restarting it... keep at it and dont give up. :)

Like 2
    • Saphyre
    • Saphyre
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Andrene keto rash is usually because of the acetone that is produced from ketosis :( it sucks!

I found that upping my carbs and dropping out of ketosis (takes 5 days roughly to go back into it unless you quick start it) will aleviate it if it gets to bad.  ♡

Like 1
    • SkinnyMe
    • SkinnyMe.5
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I haven't read all the replies so pardon me if I reapeat anything. 

Yes, age definitely makes a difference. Especially in women, with our hormones to consider. 

2nd: invest in a glucose/ketone kit that tests your blood. If you are close enough to share it then you only need one. If not, they can be had for reasonable prices and they are available with both tests in one monitor. personally , I have Keto Mojo but there are many others out there. Blood tests are so much more accurate than urine strips.  

Another good way, besides  wt loss, to measure your progress and success is to measure your arms, waist, bum, and thighs!

It's always good to know, and encouraging, that you are in ketosis cuz if you aren't you are certainly not going to get the results you are looking for. 

As for the calories and macros: go into settings and then macros and you can set your wt goals and change the calories up and down. It had set mine for 1650, way too many and why I got fat in the first place!

Keep up the good work and give your Mum a big hug for trying and sticking with it. It can be hard for us older women to try new things!

Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 8Replies
  • 251Views
  • 7 Following