One month in

Hi y’all I am one month into the keto way of life and have lost 9 pounds so far. I have about 135 pounds to lose which seems a little daunting but I’m trying to focus on little goals. I would like to lose sixteen more pounds by New Years. I would like to start the new year under 300. Something I haven’t done in 3 years. My husband started the journey with me which has made cooking a lot easier. He has lost 13 pounds so far. I feel like he is losing faster than me. Also he is showing ketones in his urine and I’m not. Does anyone know if not having a gall bladder would make a difference?  

I did consult a doctor prior to starting keto but we didn’t talk about the no ketone thing. I also do not have most of my large intestine. I had it removed when I was 22. Also had a hysterectomy when I was 23 which contributed to alot of my weight gain. I was not heavy as a child or young adult. I even lost all my pregnancy weight after having my twins.  My weight gain has come mostly from side effects of medication and eating too many carbs. 

I haven’t had sugar/carb in a month. I have been using erythritol in my coffee and making occasional snacks with it. Has anyone had experience with erythritol? I’m afraid that maybe that is why I’m not in ketosis. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I have done a lot of research for months but this is new to me and I am open to others experience. Thanks so much!

16replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Congrats on your loss!!👍🏼👍🏼 I was just asking myself the same thing in regards to the (fake) sugar.  Question;?? I have heard by different people that for some it does stall a weight loss and for other it doesn’t have any effect,whatsoever. Maybe try going without for a week. ( if your able) just to restart you metabolism. Hope that helps. 😊😊 good luck 

Like 3
    • idonails
    • idonails
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

DobermannsRock  thanks so much for the reply. I think I will try that and see if it helps

Like 1
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

idonails congratulations on 9lbs loss. Yes men do lose faster so don’t be hard on yourself. Having said that you should be showing strong ketones. I am 3 months Keto and mine are still through the roof.  Hope you have time to read through old posts and the Favourite Self Education post.  From reading & YouTube I don’t touch artificial sweeteners at all. To be in ketosis your body needs fat not sugar, not carbs. Carefully look at each little item you consume. Is it creamer for example? Are you hungry? Do you have cravings still? Both useful information. Feel free to share what you eat and ask questions ~ you need to find out where the hidden sabotage is.

regarding goals of weight by date.... be careful as if you fall short by only 2lbs you may feel so disappointed that you don’t love the changes you’ve made. 14 yrs or so ago.... I started at 289lbs! I took it at one pound steps only focusing on that one pound right in front of me. It really helped me thinking, I have only a pound to lose. I got there but menopause and lack of knowledge has meant I have been regaining 30-50lbs over and over and over ever since until Keto. I originally lost on a self styled type of Keto which I had no clue existed. 18lbs remaining currently. 18 weeks could crack it but health is more important nowadays. 

see Dot2Trot on YouTube she had 150lbs to lose and has always broken her goals into 5% chunks personally I think 10% is better (my current next target is 1.8lbs) and her maths are not her strong point. ...... She is adorable to watch though. 

Like 1
    • Joyful
    • Joyful
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi! Yes, some sugar alcohols can affect some people's getting into ketosis. The advice DobermannsRock gave is good. 

It's also possible that for some reason you are in ketosis but are not producing the type of ketone bodies that show up in urine. This sometimes happens when somebody was already eating fairly low carb for a while before going keto. It may also result from some medical issues, though I am simply guessing at that. A blood test might reveal if you're shedding one of the other ketones.  

Also, you don't mention your age, but since you've had a hysterectomy, you may be having some of the same issues menopausal women experience with keto (and any weight-loss regimen). One such issue can be eating too much protein. It's best to keep this near the minimum required to maintain your lean body mass. As with sugar alcohols and other carbs, some people are just more likely to gain (or keep) weight with protein than others, and many women report they really have to watch their protein more during/after menopause. 

There's a decent calculator online to help you estimate your LBM based on your measurements (see Joanna's self-education thread). Some medical clinics will use calipers (or some can do a DEXA scan) to more precisely  determine your body fat percentage and LBM to help you safely cut down to just what you need to maintain that lean body mass. 

Like 1
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I would suggest the precision xtra blood meter in this case to be in the safe side. It really does give piece of mind to me when sometimes my urine sticks are hardly changing, then I run to my blood meter and am running .6 -.8 and I'm okay with that. Time of day matters also. I never really test in the morning, more towards dinner time. My highest ever on blood meter was 1.6 and at first was turning the sticks dark red- the darkest color they have. Albeit in a few weeks or less they will turn? Maybe post your macros here for us to see - what you have been eating in a day. Your still doing your metabolism wonders by staying off the carbs, and albeit your melting body fat, just won't reflect on a scale yet. Give this some time. I'm putting my scale in the basement for a few weeks and I'll weigh in two weeks. . It appears it's messing with me. Lol

Like 1
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

How many net carbs are you doing per day? I forgot to ask. And albeit your fat adapted now. The sticks may not reflect much when we are fat adapted. The body is using the ketones for fuel, so less spillage. Everyone has a sweet spot", just have to figure out where it is. Yes, try to avoid all artificial sugars if at all possible for a bit. See what happens. 

Like 1
    • idonails
    • idonails
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you for the replies and information. I am 42 yo  and started out measuring net carbs and then switched a week ago to total carbs  trying to stay under or right at 20. I finally saw a loss of 1.8 pounds yesterday. This has been my first loss in two weeks. I totally agree with you all that the artificial sweeteners weren’t doing me any favors.  I am also doing this way of eating because I have fibromyalgia and I’m trying to control inflammation. And I definetly feel better in that aspect. I don’t feel hungry all the time like I used to and my cravings are considerably fewer and far between.  I love to watch dot2trot and ketoconnect and cooking keto with Christie but I do think I got hung up on sweet imitations and didn’t give myself enough time to shake the craving for foods like that. When I’m around sugar I don’t crave it anymore. So that’s good but I also started craving artificially sweetened things. This went on for a couple weeks and after reading Dobermansrock post I threw out the fat bombs I made and have not made anymore.  I’m thinking that’s where the loss came from. My macros are 5% carbs 30% protein and 65% fat. I have a really hard time reaching my fat goal everyday which is why the fat bombs came into play. I have started my day off with bulletproof coffee the last five days and that seems to replace the fat from fat bombs I was eating and helped to reach or come closer to my goal. I am having to reprogram my brain to what is healthy. I have been brain washed my whole life that fat is bad. It’s hard to wrap my mind around sometimes. 

Joyful i I had not heard about troubles for menopausal women but I totally think that is what is happening for me. I weighed 139 when I had my hysterectomy and had been skinny my whole life but when I started taking hormones I started to gain and have never stopped. I know my weight gain is not just hormone related. I definetly take responsibility for the way I ate, which was very carby. 

Joanna I love the idea to track a lose of one pound at a time  also like the 10% idea. I’m going to read the self educate post as well. 

Badmojomn i I also love the idea of hiding the scale for awhile. I weigh everyday. And everytime I don’t see a loss I feel disappointed. That’s a lot of disappointment over the course of 2 weeks so I think just weighing once every week or 2 would be better for my confidence.  Did you get your ketone meter from amazon?

Thank you all for the help and advice  it is much appreciated    

Like 1
  • Joanna One pounds steps/goals; what a great idea!

Like 1
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

idonails I THink  got the meter like from a Walmart online or some sort of recognized store, incase it was faulty - dealing with Amazon in this nature can be frustrating.

Also, I am assuming they removed your ovaries with the hysterectomy ? or do you still have them?

Like 1
    • idonails
    • idonails
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

badmojomn they removed them. I have been on hormone replacement therapy i.e. estrogen for 21years. I used to sweat and was hot all the time but since being on a keto diet I am actually cold a lot of the time. 

Like 1
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

idonails I’m on HRT patches after 10yrs of menopausal hot power surges! My Dr finally felt sorry for me. Keto has cured me of 99% of any excess hotness I used to get to.  For shortness on fats ~ 50g of macadamia nuts, some olives with a few cubes of good cheddar are both snacks I have when 2 meals a day aren’t  quite enough ~ I normally IF with an eating window 1-6.

Like 1
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

idonails Okay, with that said, your into Keto 1 month, switched out fat bombs for bullet proof coffee. Start just having black coffee to replace the bullet proof. Maybe wean off it if you need to. Pour a slight amount of heavy cream to each cup if you "need " it. Once you can drink black coffee, your going I see a fat loss, not so much in the scale but in your jeans. Month three should be amazing. Your replacing essentially one fat bombs for another type right now and what's going on is your body is using the fat in the coffee first, and not your body fat. I hope this makes sense. I do think the body when "fat adapted" starts to look for the fat we ingest and bam! If it doesn't see it coming in, it takes from our fat cells. Pure energy from outside that we ingest on keto is essentially putting in an iv for fuel. If you know you won't be doing much a Particular day, scale back a little on fats. If your going for a long walk/hike or exercise, utilize the entire fat wheel if needed. I started to cut back a little on the extra fat I was eating - no more side mayo on everything or melted butter. The macros are not perfect for everyone, just a guide. But the whole idea about the body looking for a quick fix for energy like we used to eat carbs, now once fat adapted it still looks for that quick fix- I.E. pure fats. The fat part we ingest is essentially the energy we may live on now- and if the bmi is really high, you have a lot of reserves for brain and essential organs to thrive. No need to fill up on the fat wheel if you feel really good. Let the body start utilizing the stored reserves. 

Like 1
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

badmojomn BE aware, you may experience more flushing/surge of warmth like a hot flash  and possibly headaches when you take some pure fat away.  The body I adjusting - your making it do something it doesn't want to do, insulin resistance. Make sure you have a pure protein dinner or snack closer to bedtime. I kept waking up hungry or couldn't fall asleep easily. 

Like 1
    • idonails
    • idonails
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

badmojomn thanks for all the info. It totally makes sense. I am going to switch to black coffee and see how it goes. 

Like 1
    • Joyful
    • Joyful
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have always drunk my coffee black. But now that I am not eating breakfast, I have just started adding a little HWC and coconut oil to my morning coffee to keep myself from getting hungry before lunch. Yes, I see how some might consider it "unnecessary" calories/fat, but I figure it is better than eating a full breakfast and certainly is better than getting into food-obsession mode (something eating a small breakfast or black coffee only can do). Doing this has, like idonails said, kept me from needing the fat bombs I relied on at first. So, I am not disagreeing with you, badmojomn ... but everyone's mileage will of course vary and each individual may have different needs at different stages of their diet.

My own weight loss stall (after 20 lbs) seems to have been because --surprise, surprise-- after several months of hoping I was done, I'm having an actual full-on period. LOL. And it's a doozy, with bad pimples, worse cramps,  mood swings, the works. I have read that stored estrogen releases back into our system as our fat cells get burned (something like that anyway) and so maybe my body has spent the last couple months thinking I was back in childbearing mode. Ha!

Anyway, hormone imbalances may explain some of your stall, too, idonails. Just keep on keeping on, and over time it should balance back out. 

Like 2
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Joyful I agree. Was just a suggestion for her to try. It's been tested and theorized to hinder fat loss. When I dumped my ccno and my cream in my coffee, that's when the fat accelerated and melted off me. I actually felt better also. Everyone is different, that's for sure. 

Like 1
Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 16Replies
  • 247Views
  • 8 Following