New to Keto, how am I doing?

Hi I just started the Keto diet about a week ago. I kind of eased my way into it. I felt like crap for a few days adjusting and beating carb & sugar addiction. I was so tired and had a terrible headache for 2 days. Now, I have no cravings, in fact, I'm finding it hard to eat because I'm just not hungry. My mouth is dry I'm always thirsty and pounding water and peeing all the time. I think I might be losing a little weight and feel a little less bloated. (Ketosis?) I'm not so constipated. However, after counting, I'm only getting just over 800 calories per day at this point and 3-4% carbs (6-9g) and about 80% fat (around 80g) and moderate protein intake. Do I need more calories? I'm just not hungry.

I'm 145lbs 63" not too overweight but I'd like to get down to 120.

9replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Dm134
    • Dm134
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I can't eat carbs or sugar due to health reasons so my doctor pretty much put me on this diet. I've lost 5 pounds (in1-2 weeks) I found out. My labs look better too. And I feel great. I know how to balance fats and keep a good cycle of saturated, polyunsaturated, and monounsaturated fats. My cholesterol, weakness, fatigue and food cravings are gone and my liver is on its way too. Really working and I recommend it to anyone. I will post research/lab records to prove this.

Like 3
  • Dm134 Watch your electrolytes as well. You need to increase on keto. Also, for calories, check out the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation or Harris-Benedict. Those could give you a good starting point. Keep up the good work! 

Like 1
    • Cpaulh01
    • Cpaulh01
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am new to keto. I’m only on day three but I find it so hard to consume enough fat and constantly going over protein and carbs. I don’t even feel like I’m eating a lot so I don’t really understand the calculations. Did anybody else struggle to get enough fat? Any tricks to up my fat without upping my protein and carbs at the same time???

• Krys
    • Krys.2
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Cpaulh01 I had that problem but discovered fat bombs. Recipes are all over the internet. I’ve played around with a few and tweaked to the point I’m around 2 carbs per serving. Watch your meat intake too because that will throw your protein numbers off. Best of luck! 

• Cpaulh01
    • Cpaulh01
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Krys thank you I will definitely check out some recipes. What does a typical meal look like for you if no meat? Or limiting meat? Help 😞

• Krys
    • Krys.2
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Cpaulh01 I recently increased my fasting window to 20 hours. So a typical day goes like this… I break my fast with an egg and a fat, usually cheese and/or MCT oil. About 90 minutes later I have a meal with good carbs usually veggies and whatever protein for the day. After that if I need to get my numbers up or I’m not satisfied I’ll grab a fat bomb. I always come in under my calorie and carb goals and get within 20 g +/- of my protein and fat macros. It seems to be working for me. Let me know if you need anything else. 

• Hello! 

Did you visit a Doc before engaging in your weight lose journey? I wonder if 800 calories are sufficient for the whole day?I am a caregiver also struggling with weight issues. I am new too keto. Yesterday I was watching a video about it very interesting.

bit.ly/3fIfhAr

• Gladys
    • Gladys.4
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Cpaulh01  hi I am new to this as well and have the same problem. I boought a bottle of MCT Oil (medium Chain Triglyceride)  which just comes up with fat where I found it.... 14g per tablespoon and its tasteless, I'm only starting on 1 teaspoon a day and mix in with either food or drink... it didn't show any proteinon the listing I found so has helped

• Cpaulh01 add avocado oil to salads/veggies and add mct oil to coffee, soups, or shakes. This is how I increased my fats and it helps. Also, avocados will be your best friend because they are high in fat and super low in protein. Hope this helps =)

Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 9Replies
  • 251Views
  • 12 Following