Is sugar really a no-go ?

Say you're allowed 20g of carbs a day but you manage to get this down to 10. Sneaking 5g of sugar into your coffee would still keep you way under the 20g. 

Would that harm my ketosis ?

Some might say that this might trigger cravings. Point noted. We'll stick to the 20g.

Purists: please abstain from blanket-statements and please bring an argument for your opinion.

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • To put it simply; Not all carbs are created equally. The whole premise of the ketogenic diet is to retrain your body to burn fat as fuel rather than glucose via carb intake. Table sugar is a simple carb, lacking fiber & broken down much more quickly causing more drastic blood sugar spikes. Adding non naturally occurring sugars into a keto diet keeps your body in a state of confusion. It's basically counterproductive but, to each their own. You're only cheating yourself.

It's also pretty widely accepted that sugar is absolutely terrible for you in general. It's empty calories, zero nutritional value.

https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/nutrition/glycemic-index-chart/

Like 2
    • KC
    • seashell_station
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The real nuts of it all, is trying to keep insulin nice and quiet, and using the ketones as fuel.

Sugar messes with your insulin, creating a spike and then your body rushes to get rid of it ...thereby stuffing the extra inside your fat cells.

I am a person that always used sugar in my coffee...I now use Stevia drops instead. Which is natural, and doesn't spike your insulin, but gives me the sweetness.

Stevia or Erythritol or Monk Fruit are good sugar substitutes.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/sweeteners

Like 2
  • Sugar is my opioid in that I can never have simple sugar again if I want to maintain a healthy body and mind.  

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 101Views
  • 4 Following