What happens if you go over your net carbs and how does that effect you?

Hi! Today is my first day starting keto. By the time I eat my last meal I will be over my net carbs by 2 largely due to the quinoa I had at lunch. (I didn't know) I am wondering if the 2 carbs is going to hurt me? I'm alsounder my total fat by 4 grams. One more thing! I'm working out tonight and typically have a protein shake afterwards. Do I still drink that or no?

16replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Hello!  From my understanding on Keto we can not eat Quinoa.  I believe it's because of the wheat,  sounds,  or gluten it may have in it.  I'm not positive but I will check for you.  I believe it is a food that will spike your insulin levels and that's what you want to avoid on Ketosis.  Hopes this helps and I will get back to u when I find that information. 

Like 1
  • Hi  go to Dr. Berg for all videos on ketosis on YouTube. No wheat on keto it will prevent ketosis Due to spiking insulin. Question how much carbs are you eating and are you you doing intermittent fasting?  Check out Dr Bergs videos on intermittent fasting. 

• goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Can you adjust your last meal to reduce the carbs?

• abimbela
    • abimbela
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'd say the Quinoa will be a small cause for concern as mentioned before...

But, overall 2 carbs over isn't much concern if your macro percentages still look good.

And if you feel like you're out of ketosis, remember that you can always get back.

Like 1
  • Mairlyn pedersen 

My max net carbs is 20. Yesterday, it was 22. I am doing IF. Actually faster for 16 hours. Silly question, but when you’re sleeping does that count as fasting? 

Like 1
  • abimbela thank you 

• goplay Didn’t think about this till you just mentioned it. I know for next time. Thank you 

• goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

cecemiller38  You're welcome.  I plan out the meals as they come, trying to leave a little wiggle room at the end of the day for a snack where I can make sure the macros all fit. 

If that doesn't work for you, you can try advanced planning--fill in tomorrow's menu today, see what needs adjusting so that you meet the macros before you even start your day.

• cecemiller38  Hi  i eat one meal a day now. Yes if you are doing

16  hours and sleeping is considered fasting time. I fast from five pm to 3 pm the next day then I have a eating window of two hours.  I sometimes go over my carbs but not often. cecemiller38 U come in under 20  carbs. How long have you been doing the diet? 

• The education about ketosis is so important That's  why I recommend Dr Eric Berg on YouTube and Facebook. I have read many posts where people just jump into the diet and then get discouraged when they are not dropping pounds. Education is the key to understand about insulin resistance and high blood insulin and if I had not found this diet I was on my way to becoming diabetic thank God  I found Dr. Berg. 

Like 2
    • Janet Caraker
    • Don't compare yourself to others, just be the best YOU!
    • JJCaraker
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You are doing great for your first day!    it is a little confusing at first but soon you will confidenttly be able to plan your meals to keep your carbs under 20 grams.   

Like 1
  • goplay I have been trying to pre-plan and I like it. I am getting tired of avocado and bacon though! Lol

Like 1
  • JJCaraker08f5 im in week 2 and I've had 2 bad days but I'm back on track today

Like 1
  • Mairlyn pedersen  on week 2. So I'm a newbie! 

• Janet Caraker
    • Don't compare yourself to others, just be the best YOU!
    • JJCaraker
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

cecemiller38  Just do your best and don't beat yourself up when you make a mistake.    I try to stay under 20 carbs per day but if I go up to 40 or 50 it really is okay.   

Like 1
  • Janet Caraker thanks

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 16Replies
  • 539Views
  • 6 Following