Not getting enough protein and calories

Hi.  I'm 5 days into my keto diet.  Just getting out of the flu stage.

I'm not getting enough protein and calories in before I reach my carb limited.  I know I can eat more meat.  Anyone have any other suggestions?  I know your body can into starvation mode if you don't get enough calories and I'm trying to lose weight.

13replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • What are your suggested macros?  Where are you getting most of your carbs from?  Can you post a typical days entries?

• goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You need to change what you eat so that you get more protein & fat into your diet and less carbs--the app should tell you where the carbs are coming from.  Set up what you plan to eat tomorrow in the app and see how it works out.  Then adjust the amount of each food until you come close to your macros.

If you get enough protein (I have protein bars that help me boost it when I need to without adding much in the way of carbs or meat), then add more fat to get your calories up--olive oil, cheese, etc.. I made cookie dough "fat bombs" which help with extra fat--butter, cream cheese, unsweetened chocolate chips, vanilla extract and a keto friendly sweetener.  Yum!

Like 1
  • I’m new to keto and was in the same situation. I have increased my meat but don’t care to become a big meat eater. I picked up a protein shake from GNC strawberry cream amplified wheybolic   One scoop has 20gms protein isolate and 3 net carbs. I used to drink it with water but now add heavy whipping cream and unsweetened almond milk. Shake with ice. It is the best darn milkshake I ever tasted. I add or decrease the heavy cream as to where I am on my fats and calories are for the day. I started with 1/4th cup cream 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk. The rest ice in a 12 oz shaker bottle with scoop of protein. I don’t want a complicated recipe and this is fast easy fat and protein. All ingredients can be adjusted for the perfect makeup of deficiencies. For me protein bars have too much sugar alcohols and that means bloat for me. But protein bars are also a choice. Quest bars were my choice high protein and high fiber.  I started May 6th and am down 8 lbs. keto greatest easiest diet ever! I have more energy and brain power too. 

Like 3
    • goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

victoria28152de I use Primal Thin bars--they are sweetened with Monk Fruit (lo han) which is an extract from a melon fruit not a sugar alcohol so maybe they would be good on the go for you. They have very few ingredients which I also find a plus, and they have vegan variations.

So far I only tried one vegan flavor--ginger--it tasted like incense to me, but the regular ones I've tried (sweet cream and sunflower bars) are delicious.  The texture is a bit like taffy, but if that's not a surprise it's not too big a deal.

• goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Oh--and the bars have a lot of protein so I usually eat 1/4 bar at a time to just give my protein a boost when needed (with a ruler, through the wrapper I make indentations to mark the bars into 4 pieces).

I bought them so I had something I could just toss in my purse when I needed to. Took one and a serving of walnuts on the road today to eat before arriving at a party.

• goplay thanks I will definitely give the primal thin bars a try. On the go is always a problem for me so I just don’t eat then load too much macros in at once when I can eat. 

• goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

victoria28152de Me too--and I used to have fast blood sugar drops and always carried nuts and granola and wanted to be sure to have something like that I could eat while doing keto.

They are made by Julian Bakery and if you Google for primal thin bars, the bakery often has a Google ad at the top where you can get 5 bars for $5 or 7 bars for $7 with free shipping to give them a try. :)

Like 1
  • try potted meat such as canned sardines, salmon or other fish. If it's in oil, you'll have fats and protein in one meal. You can also have a protein shake and make some fat bombs to get you to your fat macros. 

• I have the same issue. My recommended carbs is 16g/day. I'm even only eating keto recipes but I can't meet my protein or fat goals. I can't even hit 1,000 calories a day before I meet my carb limit. I know we aren't counting calories but I do want to be sure I'm getting enough to eat.  I guess it makes it harder that I don't really like meat or fatty foods in general. I'm not a fan of beef and I hate pork. I'm here to break my love of carbs and hopefully lose the weight they have helped me gain over the years. But, I really don't want to have to run around eating a summer sausage stick and vegetables shoot my carb count up so I'm always hungry.

• My go to foods are:

*Cheese (I found havarti with 9g fat/slice)

*Liverwurst (fat, protein and vitamins all in one!)

*Nuts (planters deluxe mix has good macros; skip peanuts)

*1 cup unsweetened almond milk + 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream + 1 tbsp unsweetened baking cocoa (0 net carbs!). I just tried this subbing half can of Thai Kitchen coconut cream instead of almond milk and heavy cream **drool**

*Hard boiled eggs mashed up with Primal Kitch mayo

*Canned tuna/salmon in olive oil mixed with PK mayo

*Bulletproof coffee ( 1 tbsp each grass fed butter and MCT oil)

Like 1
    • nmdhcak
    • nmdhcak
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

MamaMoosicorn  thank you so much

• A delicious treat I just came up with:

2 oz of original cream cheese (brick, not tub) + 2 tsp unsweetened baking cocoa + 1 packet Stevia. Mix until well blended. Yum!

Like 1
  • MamaMoosicorn I have never tried that yet! My weakness is whole fat ricotta, cocoa and sweetner it reminds me of a mousse 😊

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 431Views
  • 8 Following